Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

500 gr Carbon Arrow?

Old 03-07-2003, 05:51 PM

Default 500 gr Carbon Arrow?

I trying to find a carbon arrow in the 500gr range, however all the ones that seem to be that heavy require long arrows and heavy draw weights due to the spine factor. What do you guys think, would you place much reliance on the spine issue or would you go with the correct spine and then add weight tubes? By the way, with my setup of 100gr tip, 3 four inch vanes and 28.5 inch arrow, the charts say get a arrow in the 400gr range. Thanks for any input.
Old 03-07-2003, 06:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: 500 gr Carbon Arrow?

BI,

I would go with the weight tube route first. The weight tubes supposedly will not affect spine so if the arrows are spined correctly for your bow initially then adding the tubes should not do anything but add weight which is exactly what you are looking for.

However, if for some reason they do not work out then you are left with some 400 grain arrows which maybe not ideal for your desired setup but still may be totally functional if it comes down to the wire as it were.
Old 03-07-2003, 06:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I went with a slightly heavier beman which is just out of my range according to their charts, but flies perfect. With a 125 grain head on a 29" Beman ICS 340 arrow, I am right over 450 grains. You could try a 125 grain tip and feathers to up your weight a little. You could at least get into the upper 400' s with that set up. Just make sure it fly' s well for your set up.
Old 03-08-2003, 05:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

ABM' s comments made me think of something else. Depending on the style of cam on the bow that you shoot you might be able to get away with using a stiffer spined arrow than what is typically found on the charts. Cams that help to store a great deal of energy like most perimeter weighted single cams and harsh drawing dual cams actually need a stiffer spine than what is typically found in most arrow selection charts...or at least that has been my experience.
Old 03-08-2003, 07:20 AM

Try the Arrow Dynamic Traditionals. I shoot these from a 53 # to 57# longbow. At 31" , 5" feathers, and a 125 grain point the arrows weigh 525 grains. They are a forwared tapered design and fly great! They also make a lite version but I think that would weigh in in the mid to high 400' s.
Old 03-08-2003, 10:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would agree with CT Bowhunter that the Nitro Traditional is a great arrow for what you are seeking. I have shot them from a compound with release, so I can offer a different perspective as well. First off, they are incredibly tough arrows. Second, they shoot very well with broadheads. I actually ruined one of mine because I was shooting broadheads at 40 yards, and it shot a bit lower than I thought it should have, so I shot another one to see " where the arrows were really hitting." The second arrow' s broadhead made a nice slice in the front 10" of the first shaft.[]

Lucky shot? Of course, but they can shoot that well.

The negatives about them, from my point of view is that fletch clearance can be difficult, just the opposite of what their ads say. The back of the shaft isn' t much bigger than the old pultruded carbons, and getting fletching to clear the rest is difficult. I usually use a flipper rest, which works well, and of course, a drop away would work well too. I still think they are tougher to tune than some other arrows, due to the " one size fits all" spine. Once they are tuned though, they usually require no additional tuning for shooting broadheads. Last year, I loaned out one of my bows to a friend who was having some finacial troubles. It was an old Darton, and had a Starhunter rest on it. We had to go with 3" feathers on the Traditionals, but it would keep broadheads pretty close to the center of his paper plate target out to 45 yards. He was very impressed, as he also shot two doe with the outfit. Two pass throughs as well. The only other negatives on them is the cost, and that, IMO, they seem to drop off trajectory-wise past 30 yards. Depending on how you hunt, that may not be a problem.

Other carbons to look at would be Carbon Express Terminator Selects which I think are close to 11 grains per inch. The camo ones are 12 grains per inch. They are also composite arrows (carbon and fiberglass) so they should also be pretty tough. Carbon Tech Rhinos are also on the heavy end at 10 gr. per inch. If you get Bemans in the camo version, they are heavier too. Easton Carbon Evolutions are a heavier carbon arrow.

I' m sure there are others out there, and you could surely use the weight tubes as well. Good luck on your quest!
Old 03-08-2003, 05:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

carbon Tech rinos are 11.5 gpi. With a 100gr head, inserts and three 4" vanes you should get around a 480 grain arrow. I think Carbon Express also makes a real heavy hunting shaft.