Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

So you're playing the wind...

Old 08-04-2008, 04:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: So you're playing the wind...

topic getting out of control, use the wind, use scent control, be a well oiled machine like meand go get your big boy.
Old 08-05-2008, 04:47 AM
Typical Buck

You are correct gentleman, let me rephrase my never!. I have never seen, or had somebody tell me they have seen, a deer circle around another deer to wind it. Obviously they SMELL each other, and from distances, and being on the ground, even against the wind, they can smell each other from a decent distance. Again, maybe they do, but I've never seen it. Has anybody actuall seen it? During the rut, a buck will come straight at a grunt, because you've fooled him into thinking another buck is after his does. He ain't going to circletowind you if he's fooled. NEVER had a doe circle me to wind me on a bleat. NEVER.They got 20 yards from the tree, and I either popped them, or they continued on their merry way, never stopping to wind me.Even the worst deer call should not cause a deer to circle you to wind you. They do this when they've heard, seen, smelled, or a combination of the three, something not natural. Your call should not be unnatural. I guess if you call the crap out of them, then they would figure something was up and try to get around you. Then again, that would be dumb, and would fit the scenario.
Old 08-05-2008, 05:16 AM
Dominant Buck

I have never seen, or had somebody tell me they have seen, a deer circle around another deer to wind it.
I have seen this, personally. I had 4 bucks workthe samescrape one morning, and the one that didn't ....I'msure he came from the downwind side (in retrspect) to scent-check the field. He never enetered.....but he was the best buck I saw that morning.....and if I was (didn't know any better at the time) "playing the wind" (for the scrape)....he'd have come from the direction I LEAST wanted him to.

I also watched aRealtree (Monster Bucks)show, last night, and they were highlighting decoy hunts. Whether they did it form the get-go or when they got to the decoy......EVERYBUCK circled to thedownwindside of the decoy. Every.

NEVER had a doe circle me to wind me on a bleat. NEVER.
Me either....that I know of. Wonder how many times a deer circles downwind of us.....catches our scent.....and we never see it, though. Interesting thought, huh?

If we go into calling deer.....thinking they're not smart enough (instinctively) to circle and use their BEST defense mechanism to help keep them alive......

................we're fooling only ourselves.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:25 AM
Typical Buck

Well, I know I cannot count the number of bedded deer, bucks and does, young and old, that I've practically walked across before they got up and bolted. Wind direction BOTH in my face and at my back.They either heard, orsmelled,my coming and did notget up, period.I see a deer out of my range, I do nothing. The next day I move my stand, and guess what? Same deer, same path, dead deer.Deer calls and deer scents are so overused to make up for lack of scouting, it's not funny. Don't know about your TV show, but again, I've never seen a deer circle around to wind another deer.Can't tell how many times I've just sat there and watched them play, run each other off, or just hung out eating their way along. I don't do much field hunting though, mostly up in the hardwoods and thicket. Just my personal observations of my experience.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:40 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: valor10

You are correct gentleman, let me rephrase my never!. I have never seen, or had somebody tell me they have seen, a deer circle around another deer to wind it. Obviously they SMELL each other, and from distances, and being on the ground, even against the wind, they can smell each other from a decent distance. Again, maybe they do, but I've never seen it. Has anybody actuall seen it? During the rut, a buck will come straight at a grunt, because you've fooled him into thinking another buck is after his does. He ain't going to circletowind you if he's fooled. NEVER had a doe circle me to wind me on a bleat. NEVER.They got 20 yards from the tree, and I either popped them, or they continued on their merry way, never stopping to wind me.Even the worst deer call should not cause a deer to circle you to wind you. They do this when they've heard, seen, smelled, or a combination of the three, something not natural. Your call should not be unnatural. I guess if you call the crap out of them, then they would figure something was up and try to get around you. Then again, that would be dumb, and would fit the scenario.
Well...one thing that I can tell you is that when I use a buck decoy during the rut...an approaching buck ALWAYS seems to circle to the downwind side of it when approaching. As soon as their nose confirms that it is not a real deer they ussually lose interest and leave.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

I also watched a Realtree (Monster Bucks) show, last night, and they were highlighting decoy hunts. Whether they did it form the get-go or when they got to the decoy......EVERY BUCK circled to the downwind side of the decoy. Every.
I'm thinking the bucks were cautious as hell being the decoy didn't look right, thats why they circled down wind Jeff. Not because they thought it was another deer, because they weren't sure what the hell it was. Decoys are hard to use, deer allot of times are not fooled by them. I won't use them, there too blah like, they don't move. From my experiences most of the time the only reasons a buck will come in down wind of something is to wind a scrape, bedding area, feeding area, or try and wind something that just isn't right to them. In the Realtree case, its the decoy.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:19 AM
Fork Horn

simple subject. play the wind as best as can cannot control all circumstances. take a controlled risk when needed. and connect when the shot is given. end of story. hunt... simle as that
Old 08-05-2008, 09:44 AM
Dominant Buck

Don't know about your TV show, but again, I've never seen a deer circle around to wind another deer.Can't tell how many times I've just sat there and watched them play, run each other off, or just hung out eating their way along.
Let me ask you something valor.....

When a buck is cruising between doe bedding areas......do you think he does this on the downwind side.....or ya reckon he's just gonna pick the horny ones out,by "sight"?
Old 08-05-2008, 11:22 AM
Typical Buck

I'm thinking the bucks were cautious as hell being the decoy didn't look right, thats why they circled down wind Jeff. Not because they thought it was another deer, because they weren't sure what the hell it was.
Excellant point, and exactly my thought. It might look like a deer, but no scent, no movement. Has to confuse a buck, which leads him to trying to wind it. Ifit (the decoy)was a real deer, would he do the same thing? I don't know, but I've never seen them do it.

Let me ask you something valor.....

When a buck is cruising between doe bedding areas......do you think he does this on the downwind side.....or ya reckon he's just gonna pick the horny ones out,by "sight"?
You complicate everything.A buck simply has his frickin' nose in the air, or up some doe's butt, upwind or downwind, and whichever direction he smells the does, he's going to go. So by your definition, a buck is incapable of finding a doe unless she's upwind of him. I suppose no wind at all, and their mating becomes an impossibility.I mean seriously, you realize how sensitive a deer's sense of smell is. It's not like they can't smell each other unless there's a 40 mile an hour wind blowing around to carry their scent.Bottom line, play the wind. Simplist rule of bow hunting. Another thing, you seem to dismiss a deer's sight. It's just as important as their sense of smell for survival. Your does or bucks that are trying to wind you may have spotted you working that call. Ever think of that? Flicking a finger, turning your head, whatever. Every deer that has winded me, takes it's time going about it's business. Every deer that's sighted me, jumps out of it's hooves, to get a little further away.