Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

So you're playing the wind...

Old 08-03-2008, 06:34 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: So you're playing the wind...

Its more of a scent control and methodology question.

If you KNOW a mature buck is going to head downwind when you call and you're going to call- why not take scent control measures ?

I feel the same way.
Take every scent control measure available. Showers, deodorants, scent blocker, spray, get dressed at your farm and spray down well. Then, working the wind would be evenmore effective.
Yeah...I'd say tou "got it" pretty well.

Now what;s wrong with pointing this out? Doesn't it make common sense?

Old 08-03-2008, 06:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

You see a buck in the distance......and you grunt to him.

Now he's gonna do what?

Same scenario......except you've either blind grunted one up.....OR...you've rattled one in.

He's gonna do what?

Just a question.....WHY would anyone who feels like playing the wind is SO important......employ a grunt tube/rattling antlers in their arsenal.....IF they weren't going to take EVERY OTHER scent control measure possible?
Pride is a very blinding emotion.

So is ego.

I have been guilty of both more than once too.
Old 08-03-2008, 06:44 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 08-03-2008, 06:45 PM
Typical Buck

Sorry. DUMB scenario. If a deer thinks a call is ligit, they'll come to it. No reason to circle around to it unless they have reservations. In that case, buy a better call. I've never heard of deer winding each other. Might happen, I've just never heard of it. Buck grunts? Why would anybody use a grunt other than the rut? It's sole purpose, please correct me, is to bring bigger bucks in that want to chase out the youngsters after their does.You hit adeep buck grunt and every young buck within a quartermile is running for cover. My experience anyway.
Old 08-03-2008, 06:56 PM
Dominant Buck

Sorry. DUMB scenario.
Really?

No reason to circle around to it unless they have reservations.
Hell that's (reservations) THE reason.

I've never heard of deer winding each other.
You can't be serious.

I'll let the grunters address the rest of your post. I don't carry a grunt tube, very often.

Old 08-03-2008, 06:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: valor10
I've never heard of deer winding each other.
Never? Never, ever?? Do you think bucks just hope they get lucky after they take a doe out for dinner and a movie?
Old 08-03-2008, 07:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: valor10

Sorry. DUMB scenario. If a deer thinks a call is ligit, they'll come to it. No reason to circle around to it unless they have reservations. In that case, buy a better call. I've never heard of deer winding each other. Might happen, I've just never heard of it. Buck grunts? Why would anybody use a grunt other than the rut? It's sole purpose, please correct me, is to bring bigger bucks in that want to chase out the youngsters after their does.You hit adeep buck grunt and every young buck within a quartermile is running for cover. My experience anyway.

ummmm what? You never heard of deer winding each other.
Old 08-03-2008, 07:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wow everyone beat me to it.
Old 08-03-2008, 10:53 PM
TJF
Nontypical Buck

Jeff

I will not rattle or grunt. The last thing I want is a buck looking for trouble and findingme while hunting on the ground. I've played around with it in the past. The bucks usually walks straight in or circles behind with the latter happening most of the time. I've alwayshad an alert buck, no shot and a bust in the end. Big waste of time.

I will use the " Can " but more as a last chance. These instances consist of...

1. If it is the last night I can hunt the areafor quiteawhile.

2.The last couple days before our General Season starts.

3. Wind will switch and not blow in this direction for a few days not letting me hunt this area.

Keep in mind... I never hunt the exact spot twice unless a great deal of time passessince I know I have contaminated that spot by hunting on the ground.I will hunt the same area but I willmove 50 -100 yards or more if I hunt it a couple days in a row. Who knows if they have found myambushspot while I am not there so I like to keep them guessing so to speak if they have.

TheCAN usually doesn't have them coming in expecting trouble as rattling or grunting at them. Idon't over use it either but use it sparingly. I usuallyuse it with a buck in sight so I can read him whether to or not to use it after the 1st time. Most of the time I just use it once.

Tim
Old 08-03-2008, 11:07 PM
TJF
Nontypical Buck

One more thing...

I have thought abouttrying a decoy soI can rattle or grunt. Giving them something to focus on instead of searching formy spot while on high alert. That would be interesting and probablymore do-able with huntingfrom the ground.

Tim

Quick Reply: So you're playing the wind...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.