Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

"Buyer Beware"

Old 08-03-2008, 08:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default "Buyer Beware"

Is the title of a letter I just read in Petersons hunting mag.

The guy had his dream come true only to be rudly awakened, he bought a prime piece of hunting land and didn't think to ckeck on the people who lived there.

"A haven of illegal hunting with the attitude of "my Daddy and Granddaddy hunted that place for years before you bought it and I will continueto do so. Season limits and legal methods of take seem to mean nothing. Private property and no-trespassing signs are not respected and often shot to pieces"

It was Southern Missouri. I've looked there before maybe even the same place. His advice is to talk to the local and state law about activities in the area first- and then buy a guided hunt instead.

Having hunted in area's like this I'm already kind of up to speed on the headache that awaits, still the urge to buy is there. My thoughts on it have gone as far asasking an old hillbilly I know if he'd move to a piece of land I'd buy just to keep things in order, and I wouldn't ask how he'd do it.
Old 08-03-2008, 08:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: "Buyer Beware"

If you buy land that you can't oversee 24/7 the best you can do to protect your valuable hunting land is ask the neighbor (and preferably the guy doing the poaching) if he would be the caretaker of your property in return for exclusive hunting rights. Seems counter-intuitive but now he won't let anyone else hunt the land and will take much better care of it. This way you will know who you're dealing with and maybe get him to change his ways. He probably poaches on other properties as well, so he may be willing to let this one grow bigger andf better game!
Old 08-03-2008, 08:20 AM
Dominant Buck

"A haven of illegal hunting with the attitude of "my Daddy and Granddaddy hunted that place for years before you bought it and I will continueto do so. Season limits and legal methods of take seem to mean nothing. Private property and no-trespassing signs are not respected and often shot to pieces"
I live "there".

The poachers that live behind me (1/2 mi.) .....their families used to own ALL the land in this area. They now own ONE ACRE. Whomever felt sorry for them, somewhere back in time, and allowed them to keep that house and acre.......

......God I wish he'd just given them fair market value for it and kicked their asses to the curb. They use that 1 acre as a launching pad to hunt ANYWHERE and EVERYWHERE they please. They have MULTIPLE guests to help them hunt their ....."acre"?????

It's sickening.

I'm not sure I'd buy any acreage around here......UNLESS I could buy their acre, too. Without that place to stage from......they could be managed. As it stands, now.....they're hard to catch.....UNLESS they're taking a dump .....after having trespassed across three properties to get there. (and yes....he was reported and nothing happened)

So yeah.....I'd say it would make sense to ask the surrounding landowners before purchasing land. You might discover you have a mad dumper in your midst.....and some inbred, toothless, useless poaching sons ofbitches to deal with.
Old 08-03-2008, 08:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Dr Andy

If you buy land that you can't oversee 24/7 the best you can do to protect your valuable hunting land is ask the neighbor (and preferably the guy doing the poaching) if he would be the caretaker of your property in return for exclusive hunting rights. Seems counter-intuitive but now he won't let anyone else hunt the land and will take much better care of it. This way you will know who you're dealing with and maybe get him to change his ways. He probably poaches on other properties as well, so he may be willing to let this one grow bigger andf better game!
A friend has done that. It didn't work. A couple years ago the owner found out a pro shop in a near by town was leasing his place out. So sad it's hilarious.It's gotten better in the past year or so for whatever reason. Maybe a real bad *** has claimed the place for his own.
Old 08-03-2008, 08:40 AM
Fork Horn

nodog

I am from southeast Missouri where is the ground you are talking about maybe I know something about it or I can check into it for you if it is not too far away. Just PM me.
Old 08-03-2008, 08:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

I had permission to hunt there, are you sure it's not in Clark Co. Illinois? I had SOLE permission from the landowner to hunt his 80 acres, opening day I had a 4 wheeler drive through the field, into the woods and stop 40 yards from my tree, I flashed my light at him and he said "YA, I SEE YOU". I then asked him who gave him permission to hunt and his answer...no lie...." I've been hunting here for 30 years, I don't need permission". I told the land owner about it, he spent a lot of moneyhaving custom signs put up,I never seen them again, but I also seen ALOT fewr deer after that, so I almost bet they were putting some kind of scent all over during the night.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

When I first bought my property this yahoo comes up to me and asked WTF this no tresspassing sign was doing there. I bought the property and I don't want anybody on it. His reply was I have hunted this for 20 years and you just want me to stop. My reply Yep or you will be arrested. I never saw him again.

You just have to be consistant and bust them every chance you get.
Old 08-03-2008, 10:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've had people go as far as saying "The last owner gave me permission to hunt here the rest of my life, if YOU have a problem with it, you need to speak to the people you bought it from." To which my response has always been "They don't own it anymore, I do. I have a problem with it,and the sheriff has the cure to that problem. It involves you in jail. Any questions?" So far, with the exception of the one time I had to call the sheriff and he came out code 3 (Lights and Siren), it seems to work. I haven't had any repeaters. But unless you live on the land you hunt, you'll never keep all trespassers out. Although someone in this forum told me last year to post "Color blind hunter on site, shoots at sounds. Enter at your own risk" signs which might also work.