Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Anybody ever use these rattling antlers?

Old 08-03-2008, 05:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Anybody ever use these rattling antlers?

i just use the antlers off the first buck i killed.
Old 08-03-2008, 05:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

I like the fletch/nock color going on!
Thanks nodog!! I stole the colors from my dad about 10 years ago and didn't even realize it. He always gives me a hard time when were on a hunting trip together.
Old 08-03-2008, 06:04 PM
Typical Buck

they look nice but they are a little pricey!

rick

Old 08-03-2008, 06:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: early in

ORIGINAL: nodog

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

ORIGINAL: Paul L Mohr

I will agree they sound different, but I don't think deer are that smart. And from a distance they don't sound all that different I have tried both and one didn't seem to work any better the other, but carrying around a couple of full sized antlers is sort of a pain compared to a bag I can stick in my pocket.

Paul
Rattling bucks in Paul isn't that much fun really, its tough to do. Some years I've had awesome success and others I've had terrible luck. Everything has got to be perfect to make it work it seems. In my opinion deer know the difference in these sounds, its no different then a buck grunting in the woods. For example we grunt and nothing shows, a real buck comes by and grunts and before you know it you have 3 to 4 of them running around. I've seen that happen all to often.[8D]

I know they both work (bag and real antlers) but I think one works much better then the other.
There is no doubt in my mind that the closer the buck to doe ratio is, the better results you will have with rattling.If you have let's say,a ratio of 6-8 doe for everybuck, there is NO REASON for bucks to fight with each otherto find a receptive doe because there's plenty to go around.
Conversely, if there's only maybe 2 or 3 to one then there is competitionfor those doe, and bucks will fight over them/respond to rattling. Up north (I'm not allowed to say where) I've had great results rattling because thedoe to buckratio is 2 or 3 to one, and trust me it's fun.Actually watching a buck respond to my rattling was one of the highlights of my hunting career!
I don't even bring my rattling antlers into the woods here in Pa because it spooks them!
Could be their spooked because not enough time is given in between, and the buck while working the area without being seen yet, picks off the caller. I took one 2 years ago that was a sloth in a past lifeHe'd a picked me off for sure if I'd a been impatient.

Several years agoI did get picked off, the deer had made it's way out in the middle of a cut field, just standing there watching for movement, he saw it and blew me a kiss on his way out. I never saw it till then. I should have been looking down wind, live and learn. He was mine, I had'm hooked.
I really don't undrestand why my post is quoted here? Itmentions nothing about the effectiveness of either the bag or real antlers. I only mention thefact that the effectiveness of rattling (either way)is relitive to the buck to doe ratio in a given area.
It's the net

and

"I don't even bring my rattling antlers into the woods here in Pa because it spooks them!"

Old 08-03-2008, 06:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

ORIGINAL: Paul L Mohr

I will agree they sound different, but I don't think deer are that smart. And from a distance they don't sound all that different I have tried both and one didn't seem to work any better the other, but carrying around a couple of full sized antlers is sort of a pain compared to a bag I can stick in my pocket.

Paul
Rattling bucks in Paul isn't that much fun really, its tough to do. Some years I've had awesome success and others I've had terrible luck. Everything has got to be perfect to make it work it seems. In my opinion deer know the difference in these sounds, its no different then a buck grunting in the woods. For example we grunt and nothing shows, a real buck comes by and grunts and before you know it you have 3 to 4 of them running around. I've seen that happen all to often.[8D]

I know they both work (bag and real antlers) but I think one works much better then the other.
There is no doubt in my mind that the closer the buck to doe ratio is, the better results you will have with rattling.If you have let's say,a ratio of 6-8 doe for everybuck, there is NO REASON for bucks to fight with each otherto find a receptive doe because there's plenty to go around.
Conversely, if there's only maybe 2 or 3 to one then there is competitionfor those doe, and bucks will fight over them/respond to rattling. Up north (I'm not allowed to say where) I've had great results rattling because thedoe to buckratio is 2 or 3 to one, and trust me it's fun.Actually watching a buck respond to my rattling was one of the highlights of my hunting career!
I don't even bring my rattling antlers into the woods here in Pa because it spooks them!
Could be their spooked because not enough time is given in between, and the buck while working the area without being seen yet, picks off the caller. I took one 2 years ago that was a sloth in a past lifeHe'd a picked me off for sure if I'd a been impatient.

Several years agoI did get picked off, the deer had made it's way out in the middle of a cut field, just standing there watching for movement, he saw it and blew me a kiss on his way out. I never saw it till then. I should have been looking down wind, live and learn. He was mine, I had'm hooked.
I really don't undrestand why my post is quoted here? Itmentions nothing about the effectiveness of either the bag or real antlers. I only mention thefact that the effectiveness of rattling (either way)is relitive to the buck to doe ratio in a given area.
It's the net

and

"I don't even bring my rattling antlers into the woods here in Pa because it spooks them!"
Which it does, because the doe to buck ratio is about 8 to 1. That's the point of "my" post. Bad buck to doe ratio = rattling spooksthem/doesn't work.
Old 08-04-2008, 05:09 AM

Like I said earlier I use the bag. I use the bag simply because of convenience, I cant stand carrying big sheds into the timber and having to deal with them all day. However, an advantage to sheds is that you can do much more with them.

My bro for instance last year during pre rut would take about 15 to 20 feet of rope with him and tie the antlers to it. This would allow him to scrape the antlers up against the tree for a bit and then throw them to the ground and make a bunch of noise in the leaves. It worked for him once last year but I think this idea hurts in the long run because if there is already a buck eyeing the area he is gonna pick off all the movement very easily.
Old 08-04-2008, 05:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: BrownBow33

Like I said earlier I use the bag. I use the bag simply because of convenience, I cant stand carrying big sheds into the timber and having to deal with them all day. However, an advantage to sheds is that you can do much more with them.

My bro for instance last year during pre rut would take about 15 to 20 feet of rope with him and tie the antlers to it. This would allow him to scrape the antlers up against the tree for a bit and then throw them to the ground and make a bunch of noise in the leaves. It worked for him once last year but I think this idea hurts in the long run because if there is already a buck eyeing the area he is gonna pick off all the movement very easily.
I hear ya loud and clear. If I hunted the same place it wouldn't be so bad but I go to many different places often a haul in so I'm already carring a good deal of stuff. Not only is a full set a problem to pack, but tend to make noise getting there.

However...the people claim they have found the right pitch for rattlingI guess they could have, and if they have it would be worth it for the majority of hunters. Only a few of us know what kind of bucks we have to go after.

Think of the possibilities, being able to call in the bucks at least near enough for a look on properties we know little about. I'd pay 300 for that. Does sound to good to be true.