Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Anybody ever use these rattling antlers?

Old 08-02-2008, 06:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Anybody ever use these rattling antlers?

I've got the bag, and some homemade ones, they both work.
Old 08-03-2008, 07:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

Using a real set of antlers you can be as aggressive as you want. You can act like a sparring/screwing around match or you can get right to the fight part of it. The person using the antlers is usually the one screwing it up on how aggresive they are with them. Too much will mess it up, the hunter using them is at fault, not the antlers.
Ok lets say all that is so and lets say somebody, maybe these guys have done their home work and not just any sound produced is the ultimate sound that deer can't resist. It's not to far of a reach since calls and scents use the same arguement.

If it's the person, the bag could be just as good as the real.

Too much doesn't always mess it up if you know the deer your after. A buddy went after a buck that was one bad dude, it took some very aggresive work to get his anger up. He knew the deer was aggresive because of the way it was ripping things up.

Family people, his dad watched the buck from a road while the thing sat in a ditch although neither had planned it that way. I think he said it took over an hour. The buddy had his nephew along, itwas his first.The buck came crashing in ready to kill as they hid behind a huge tree.

He whispered to the kid to peak around the tree when all was quite and see were it was. The kids eyes were hugeand the folowing convy took place;

"He's right there!"
"Where?"
"Right behind the tree!".

The guy started to look and saw nothing but bone, right there. 3 feet away. The buck went into a frenzy and took off. The kid went to shoot but was stopped, "We don't shoot at running deer" was the reason given.

I think deer are attracted to a new one in their area. Many have said that using crap from another area attracks deer, I agree. A different sound maybe the same. That wouldn't rule out the bag at all. On the other hand a familar sound, wouldn't spook them either so a shed from the same place might work very well and could be the reason for somes success.
Old 08-03-2008, 07:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: early in

ORIGINAL: Paul L Mohr

I will agree they sound different, but I don't think deer are that smart. And from a distance they don't sound all that different I have tried both and one didn't seem to work any better the other, but carrying around a couple of full sized antlers is sort of a pain compared to a bag I can stick in my pocket.

Paul
Rattling bucks in Paul isn't that much fun really, its tough to do. Some years I've had awesome success and others I've had terrible luck. Everything has got to be perfect to make it work it seems. In my opinion deer know the difference in these sounds, its no different then a buck grunting in the woods. For example we grunt and nothing shows, a real buck comes by and grunts and before you know it you have 3 to 4 of them running around. I've seen that happen all to often.[8D]

I know they both work (bag and real antlers) but I think one works much better then the other.
There is no doubt in my mind that the closer the buck to doe ratio is, the better results you will have with rattling.If you have let's say,a ratio of 6-8 doe for everybuck, there is NO REASON for bucks to fight with each otherto find a receptive doe because there's plenty to go around.
Conversely, if there's only maybe 2 or 3 to one then there is competitionfor those doe, and bucks will fight over them/respond to rattling. Up north (I'm not allowed to say where) I've had great results rattling because thedoe to buckratio is 2 or 3 to one, and trust me it's fun.Actually watching a buck respond to my rattling was one of the highlights of my hunting career!
I don't even bring my rattling antlers into the woods here in Pa because it spooks them!
Could be their spooked because not enough time is given in between, and the buck while working the area without being seen yet, picks off the caller. I took one 2 years ago that was a sloth in a past lifeHe'd a picked me off for sure if I'd a been impatient.

Several years agoI did get picked off, the deer had made it's way out in the middle of a cut field, just standing there watching for movement, he saw it and blew me a kiss on his way out. I never saw it till then. I should have been looking down wind, live and learn. He was mine, I had'm hooked.
Old 08-03-2008, 08:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

Too much doesn't always mess it up if you know the deer your after.
Exactly, I don't know exactly how these rattle bags work. Can you get more aggresive with them or is it always the same sound? You can buy ceramics too if you want, they'll take your cash too!

I've rattled in a ton of bucks with real antlers, I've expierenced and tried allot of things with them. Every buck is different, some will come in, some will run the other way. Time of year, aggressiveness of your rattling, area, wind direction, common sence, expierence in rattling all have a major factor in having success. The more you try it, more then likely the more you will learn and the better you will get.

Rattling bucks to me is pretty easy as long as its the right time of year, Mid October is my favorite time. I've got good confidence in it being I've had a ton of luck. Grunting deer in with grunt, bleat calls, different story there. I have no luck with it so far. The buck in this picture is the buck I rattled in October 24th 2007. He came into fight, I was semi aggressive with my rattling. Another thing too, a shed is a shed. It doesn't matter where it comes from IMO, they all make the noises we put into them. Like I said use what you think will work, I know what works for me. Most of the sheds I use are from my woods.To me it don't matter where the shed came from. Just my opinion though.Good luck in whatever you use!!

Old 08-03-2008, 08:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

Nice deer! Good advise!

I like the fletch/nock color going on!

Old 08-03-2008, 08:34 AM
Dominant Buck

Whoa, $300 for a set of horns to bang together once in a while. I don't think so. I'll use some of my own or better yet, a bag or the Lohman double rattle box.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:09 AM

With the bags you can rattle soft, or hard, slow or fast and you can even do it with one hand if you don't want to get super aggressive. I'm not saying they sound same, because they do sound different I just don't think the deer really know the difference is all. If I was in a blind or on the ground sheds might be ok, but in a tree they are just a pain compared to bag.

I'm not claiming to be an expert either, I really don't rattle or use calls that much. I tend to set up where I know there will be deer and just let them stroll by and shoot them completely unaware until it's too late. I have rattled a few deer in though, I just couldn't get them close enough to shoot. I think rattling with a decoy would work well in my area. I hunt fairly open areas and once the deer get to the area they can hear, but don't see anything going on and I think it confuses them a little.

Paul
Old 08-03-2008, 02:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

I think rattling with a decoy would work well in my area.
That I would love to try some time. Good luck Paul if you try it!
Old 08-03-2008, 03:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use a set from a 6 point that I killed! I left them lay one time by the tree and the mice or squirrels chewed them up real good but they still work.
Old 08-03-2008, 04:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: nodog

ORIGINAL: early in

ORIGINAL: Paul L Mohr

I will agree they sound different, but I don't think deer are that smart. And from a distance they don't sound all that different I have tried both and one didn't seem to work any better the other, but carrying around a couple of full sized antlers is sort of a pain compared to a bag I can stick in my pocket.

Paul
Rattling bucks in Paul isn't that much fun really, its tough to do. Some years I've had awesome success and others I've had terrible luck. Everything has got to be perfect to make it work it seems. In my opinion deer know the difference in these sounds, its no different then a buck grunting in the woods. For example we grunt and nothing shows, a real buck comes by and grunts and before you know it you have 3 to 4 of them running around. I've seen that happen all to often.[8D]

I know they both work (bag and real antlers) but I think one works much better then the other.
There is no doubt in my mind that the closer the buck to doe ratio is, the better results you will have with rattling.If you have let's say,a ratio of 6-8 doe for everybuck, there is NO REASON for bucks to fight with each otherto find a receptive doe because there's plenty to go around.
Conversely, if there's only maybe 2 or 3 to one then there is competitionfor those doe, and bucks will fight over them/respond to rattling. Up north (I'm not allowed to say where) I've had great results rattling because thedoe to buckratio is 2 or 3 to one, and trust me it's fun.Actually watching a buck respond to my rattling was one of the highlights of my hunting career!
I don't even bring my rattling antlers into the woods here in Pa because it spooks them!
Could be their spooked because not enough time is given in between, and the buck while working the area without being seen yet, picks off the caller. I took one 2 years ago that was a sloth in a past lifeHe'd a picked me off for sure if I'd a been impatient.

Several years agoI did get picked off, the deer had made it's way out in the middle of a cut field, just standing there watching for movement, he saw it and blew me a kiss on his way out. I never saw it till then. I should have been looking down wind, live and learn. He was mine, I had'm hooked.
I really don't undrestand why my post is quoted here? Itmentions nothing about the effectiveness of either the bag or real antlers. I only mention thefact that the effectiveness of rattling (either way)is relitive to the buck to doe ratio in a given area.

Quick Reply: Anybody ever use these rattling antlers?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.