Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How can you be so consistent with bad form?

Old 08-02-2008, 05:52 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default How can you be so consistent with bad form?

I dont' get it. My buddy has maybe the worst form shooting a bow that I've ever seen. He has a death grip on the bow. His left shoulder is so high I think it blocks his vision. His right elbow is almost at a 90 degree angle pointing up. His DL is too long. He leans backwards. etc.... He almost looks like he is in pain when he's shooting.

I am VERY VERY far from having what I would call good form (compared to some of the advanced shooters on this board). I'm constantly trying to work towards better form, but I'm not there yet. I would consider myself to havedecent form and a consistent shooter. My buddy is as consistent if not better than me with the ugliest form you can picture in your head [8D]. He kills an awful lot of deer and hasn't lost one since I can remember hunting with him. Which in the end is all that matters.

I'm just wondering how the heck it's possible to remain that consistent over the years with so many flaws in his form. I compare it to golf. A golfer with several swing flaws will never be consistent for 18 holes of golf. He may hit a few good shots per round when all the parts happen to come together at impact in the right positions, but no way can it be duplicated on a consistent basis without the proper fundamentals. Is this normal?
Old 08-02-2008, 05:57 AM

Default RE: How can you be so consistent with bad form?

If you do the same thing each time you'll get the same result.
Old 08-02-2008, 05:58 AM
Dominant Buck

A golfer with several swing flaws will never be consistent for 18 holes of golf.
NY....In most instances I'd agree with the above. But there are anomolies. I think H Penick told Ben Crenshaw and Tom Kite to not be afraid of the guy with the good swing and the bad grip.......and to not fear the guy with the good grip and the bad swing. The one they needed to watch out for was the guy with the bad grip AND the bad swing.

If you can repeat it.......it's lethal.

Sounds like your bud's an anomoly, as well.

Old 08-02-2008, 06:01 AM
Fork Horn

Well it all boils down to constancy. If he does everything the same every time then he should shot good. My brother in law has a death grip on the bow and twists it when I shot his bow I am off at least foot to left and way high but it works for him. Tried to help his form but it was a no go he just couldn't get use to it.

You mentioned golf will if a golfer has a bad slice he is doing something wrong but if he does it consonantly he can play the slice and get a better score.
Old 08-02-2008, 06:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

You mentioned golf will if a golfer has a bad slice he is doing something wrong but if he does it consonantly he can play the slice and get a better score.
Unless you're facing a dogleg left with trouble on the right. Or have to hit it to a left pin location.
Old 08-02-2008, 06:35 AM

I do not think there is one perfect form for everyone. Trying to change you way you shoot, so that you have what some one else says is good formwill cause you more problems. The supposed perfect form should only be a guide line when you are starting out. But once you are comfortable shooting and can do it the same every time, that is what is key. There are so many so called experts out there that tell you to line up your arms and below so as to use as little muscle as possible and have your bones be the brace and yet others that disagree. So who it right on what perfect form is. I feel only you can decide what feels right for you and that you can repeat the same each time
Old 08-02-2008, 07:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

One of the better archers on the pro circuit to this day and his form isn't "textbook", but it's repeatable.
Old 08-02-2008, 07:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

His consistent bad form must be just that. VERY consistent!