Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

elephant

Old 08-01-2008, 10:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: elephant

"Fact of the matter, though, I have simply lived-look forward to doing it again. Was your first hunt spiritual? How about your second? The journey is when, where, why and howyou make it, right?. Is it written somewhere that elephant hunting cannot be spiritual? Afterall, isn't it what you make it? "

I am not saying I smoke peyote and toss grains on tobacco into the wind before each hunt, but I feel very peaceful in the woods. And yes, "it is what you make it".
Old 08-01-2008, 10:22 PM
mez
Nontypical Buck

Would love to take Jumbo with archery tackle if I ever had the chance.
Don't think I could ever afford that hunt nor be able to take 45 days off of work.

Old 08-01-2008, 10:23 PM
Dominant Buck

VS,

I appreciate your posts...

Fact of the matter, though, I have simply lived-look forward to doing it again. Was your first hunt spiritual? How about your second? The journey is when, where, why and howyou make it, right?. Is it written somewhere that elephant hunting cannot be spiritual? Afterall, isn't it what you make it?
Will.....I can't wait to hunt with you. Brett....Ditto.

You guys are both passionate about hunting. No doubt about it.

Respect.

Old 08-01-2008, 11:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Friends have.
Old 08-01-2008, 11:38 PM
Typical Buck

Last week I would have tried it,

Watched a show on PBS Nature about them, and their habits, and such. Now I don't think I can.

a Hippo on the other hand........
Old 08-02-2008, 12:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

no way and no reason for it.
Old 08-02-2008, 02:54 AM

I would not do it, simply because I believe archery tackle to be a gamble in terms of suitability and effectiveness. Hit one ina rib -no dice. Hit it between ribs -you kill him.

No reason for it? I will disagree completely. There are many areas of the elephants range that are being decimated by overpopulation of them, and their numbers are necessarily being trimmed. It is no different than too many deer we have in some areas here. Too many is too many...despite what the heart string pulling,over hyped bs animal lover shows on the Discovery Channel will have you believe.

Elephants are regarded as the most dangerous animal on earth for a reason. I don't get anyone having the notion that it is normal for an elephant that knows you are there to "just watch" you...cause that is not the normal reaction. The normal reaction of an elephant that knows you are there is to come kill your arse.

I also find it very suprising to see someone pull the "don't kill what you don't eat"arguement out of their pocket. The meat is ALWAYS eaten by someone.

While I don't desire to attempt it, I sure don't have anything against anyone that does. If they hit a rib and things go wrong, there will be a back up gun to make things right. No different than most grizzly bear, polar bear, and cape buffalo hunts.

We take advantage of many animals weaknesses to kill them. If an elephant would just stand there because it fears nothing...how is that different than shooting a black bear with a jelly doughnut in its mouth, an antelope getting a drink of water, or shooting a tom turkey in the face while he pays no attention to anything else in the world except for the decoy you placed there to trick him?
Old 08-02-2008, 05:08 AM
Fork Horn

Anybody see the foulkrod/potts show tonight where they were hunting Bison?

Believe me....it relates.

X2
Old 08-02-2008, 05:17 AM
Dominant Buck

We take advantage of many animals weaknesses to kill them. If an elephant would just stand there because it fears nothing...how is that different than shooting a black bear with a jelly doughnut in its mouth, an antelope getting a drink of water, or shooting a tom turkey in the face while he pays no attention to anything else in the world except for the decoy you placed there to trick him?
I'll give you props Robin....lol.....that's one way of putting it....and you obviously dont mind saying it!

If an elephant would just stand there because it fears nothing
In the Bison hunt I was comparing this with (didn't see the elephant hunt).....the above didn't "seem" to be the case. Let me see.......think more along the lines of stalking a cow in a pasture.
Old 08-02-2008, 05:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Quick Reply: elephant

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.