Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

elephant

Old 08-01-2008, 03:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: elephant

ORIGINAL: salukipv1

NO.

I believe howard hill was the 1st man to take an elephant with a bow, that wasn't with the use of a poison tipped arrow.

Sure some have done it since, but this seems like a ridiculous proposition to me. I think a bow/arrow would be a rather ineffective weapon to use on an elephant, the risk of losing such a trophy, and the likelihood that it would take a long time to die, just doesn't suit me.

Taking one with a .577NE double, sounds like much more of a hunt.
I personally don't think the words elephant and hunt should be found in the same sentence.[:@]I just saying.
Old 08-01-2008, 04:10 PM
Dominant Buck

You guys have them in your woods......you're just not hunting hard or smart enough to kill them. Just because you haven't seen them.....and you don't have trail cam photos of them.......that doesn't mean they aren't there.

You need to do a better job, hunting.
Old 08-01-2008, 04:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

thats a big animal for a bow! I don't think I would!
Old 08-01-2008, 04:19 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Brknarrow1970

Would you ever try for one with archery tackle

Just curious if anyone has ever done it or thought about it
If your paying, I’m playing!
Old 08-01-2008, 04:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

"All men die, but not every man lives!"

I wish I had ten dollars for every time I was told 'I couldn't with a bow'. If they bleed, they can be killed! With the proper gear, I would do it without hesitation!

Shirleys and Shelas need not apply...
Old 08-01-2008, 04:44 PM
Typical Buck

I actually saw a guy on an outdoor show who shot one with a crossbow. They were culling the older bulls. Supposedly when they get real old they lose all of theirteeth and molars and cant shew food anymore and suffer greatly and die.

The guy used a typical crossbow with a fixed broadhead and hit him right between the eyes and he dropped like a......um.....elephant.

no BS
Old 08-01-2008, 04:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Hoyt_Viper

I actually saw a guy on an outdoor show who shot one with a crossbow. They were culling the older bulls. Supposedly when they get real old they lose all of theirteeth and molars and cant shew food anymore and suffer greatly and die.

The guy used a typical crossbow with a fixed broadhead and hit him right between the eyes and he dropped like a......um.....elephant.

no BS
Is there a soft spot there? I would have thought that would be skull between the eyes.
Old 08-01-2008, 04:57 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: early in

no BS
Is there a soft spot there? I would have thought that would be skull between the eyes.
Not sure but the guy had nuts made of titanium. He walked out in front of him at about 30 yrds and popped him. It either crushed the skull or maybe through an eye socket, but the thing dropped right in its tracks.
Old 08-01-2008, 05:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

If I could afford it, and the opportunity arose I would. Can you imagine an animal that big charging you before or after the shot? Good night!
Old 08-01-2008, 05:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: early in

no BS
Not sure but the guy had nuts made of titanium. He walked out in front of him at about 30 yrds and popped him. It either crushed the skull or maybe through an eye socket, but the thing dropped right in its tracks.
As much as I'm not into killing one, I would like to have seen that shot.

Quick Reply: elephant

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.