Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

elephant

Old 08-02-2008, 09:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: elephant

Would my ex wife classify as an elephant hunt? Then yes, but other than that,... no.

Bobby
Old 08-03-2008, 01:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am all about hunting bugs, somebody shrink me.
Old 08-03-2008, 06:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: LouisianaTomkat

When you're ready to hunt elk, this guide will deliver free of charge. Just shoot me a PM.
Now that sounds to me like someone who loves to hunt just because they love to hunt. I would gladly share an "Elk" hunt with you. The overseas and around the world hunting just holds no appeal to me for various reasons. I do admire your drive and ambition though.

Thanks, LT
You got some real issues with the wrong emotions.

Loving to hunt doesn't include judging others intentions. Your worthy/your not worthy, it gets old.

Fact is the same reasons you have for hunting are the same for elephant hunters. It's a big world out there, take a chance and live a little. Hunt another state to spice things up a bit. Who knows, you might even find a reason to go after an animal that can thrash the daylights out of you if you dare give it a whiff or your prescience. Boddington makes it look easy, far from it. And another thing, you aint the only thing at the top of the chain over there. While people are going around "thumping their chests" there are other critters sizing them up. Them guides earn their wage just for keeping you off the menu. And, and, and, the people that work for them are the real deal. Real people of the earth. Your “worthiness” meter will blow a fuse.

I’m just a dull sharpie, guys I know that have been there could really tighten some here up on the subject.

Old 08-03-2008, 07:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Old 08-03-2008, 07:35 AM
Dominant Buck

I envision a few blokes sitting around having a few pints......having JUST come in from a successful hunt ......for an animal that has a legitimate chance (even with Ph's and back-up guns) of bumping said hunter from his spot on the food chain.......

......................and I wonder what THEY think about deer hunting.

Old 08-03-2008, 07:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Who cares.I guess I should have stuck to the sentiments of my own sig. below.

For all who do care, carry on.

I'm out.

LT
Old 08-03-2008, 08:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

I stayed out to this point, and haven't read the whole thread, but based on what I've heard elsewhere, including the opinions of a couple of PH's in Africa, I'm not real sure that archery gear is the best option for elephants. Then again it may not be the best option for MANY animals, however, MOST animals can be sufficiently mortally wounded resulting in quick, humane kills with archery gear as long as it is specifically designed/tailored to the animal being hunted. Elephants however becomes a bit more difficult than say giraffe or even water buffalo merely because of their size.

Howard Hill DID IT, but he also was shooting a SPEAR more or less at the elephants he killed. His BH alone I believe weighed over 2# (1700grains is actually about 2.4 POUNDS!!!!) and I'd have to believe the "arrow" was very likely travelling at a very LOW velocity, I'd bet under 100fps if I were a betting man, but certainly MOMENTUM would've been pretty significant with such and arrow. But Howard Hill was a true, genuine, "One of a kind!!!" Pete Shepley did it, twice, both times the animals travelled significant distances, one, the first, reported to have gone between 5 and 6 miles before it finally died. Sorry, but if I put a "good" shot on an animal and it travels that far before finally dying, I'm questioning the lethality and how HUMANE my equipment choice is. While certainly the population of elephants NEEDS to be hunted to keep it in check, and the African villages benefit greatly from these "hunts (also heard both PH's elsewhere say there really isn't much "hunt" to and elephant "hunt.")," I'm not 100% sure I like the idea of hunting elephants with archery equipment.

Now this isn't a PETA stance by any means, for those who want to try and jump on that bandwagon, it's a stance developed from the standpoint that if we aren't humanely killing the animals we hunt, we're going to be MORE likely to be getting more PETA attacks. Pete Shepley should've been smart enough to edit out some video and not mention that the elephant he killed went 5-6miles, and he shouldn't have thrown a fit like a little kid when the PH wanted to put a finisher bullet in "his" elephant either, but he did. Pete is known to push the limit, and he IS a great archer, but the elephant fiasco and his "86yd shot on a walking Mule Deer," are the type of things that do not do us, as hunters, any favors in the eyes of ARA, and may even sway a few fence-riding opinions against us.

Whatever we do or say as hunters is, sometimes unfortunately, representative of ALL hunters in the eyes of the non-hunters.