Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Trail cam question?

Old 08-01-2008, 09:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Trail cam question?

This afternoon i will be putting out a trail camera on a proprty that i hunt but am wondering on where to put it. The property consists of hard woods with a large field in the middle of it. The deer come out this time of the year in large numbers and feed every evening in that field. In the past i have set up the camera on some trails leading to the field, but only got a few pics. My thought is im going to throw some corn down and put the camera over it. Should I locate the camera and corn on the field edge or in the woods. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Old 08-01-2008, 09:12 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Trail cam question?

I am the furthest thing from an expert, but I have had success in dropping a 50 lb bag of corn in the vicinity of deer traffic or runs. I don't have fields of crops in my area so I don't know what the difference would be but I have some great pictures of some nice bucks in my area. I am getting between 100 and 200 pictures a week lately.
Old 08-01-2008, 09:12 AM
Dominant Buck

If it were ME.....

I'd set it pretty far away from where I was gonna hunt them....IF I was going to use an attractant.

What are you trying to find out? If its just "what's out there"....I'd use my method. If you'r einterested in what trails they'reusing.....better get another opinion. I don't use my cams for that purpose.
Old 08-01-2008, 09:13 AM
Typical Buck

I like to put cameras in the woods on major deer trails. You can put it on the field edge...put it in one of the deer trails coming out of the woods into the field.
Old 08-01-2008, 09:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Im interested in just what exactly is running around the property. I know fairly well where they bed the majority of the time and where they are traveling to. I dont hunt them anywhere near the field, so im leaning towards throwing the corn on the field edge and seeing what happens. If no good shots get taken i can always move it.
Old 08-01-2008, 09:19 AM
Dominant Buck

The reason I said what I did is.....

If you're ONLY interested in taking an inventory.....WHY in the world would you want to risk smelling up a spot where you're gonna be hunting (setting up, checking and taking down a trail cam)?
Old 08-01-2008, 09:25 AM
Typical Buck

I would put the camera over some corn on the field edge. Many deer walk field edges and I find that these are good spots to intercept deer that are entering/exiting a field. It would even be better if you can placethe cameranear a major travel corridor that you know deer use to enter a field to feed that runs from their bedding area.

JMO!
Old 08-01-2008, 09:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

The reason I said what I did is.....

If you're ONLY interested in taking an inventory.....WHY in the world would you want to risk smelling up a spot where you're gonna be hunting (setting up, checking and taking down a trail cam)?
That might depend on how far down the road he plans on hunting there, if those are indeed his intentions. I hunt not20yrds from my trail cam sometimes, and have deer "walk"by it's location (not necessarily in front of it)on a regular basiswithout any problem. This includes bucks as well.I think how oftenit gets checked (scent) is the important thing.
Old 08-01-2008, 09:34 AM
Dominant Buck

That might depend on how far down the road he plans on hunting there, if those are indeed his intentions. I hunt not20yrds from my trail cam sometimes, and have deer "walk"by it's location (not necessarily in front of it)on a regular basiswithout any problem. This includes bucks as well.I think how oftenit gets checked (scent) is the important thing.
But I think my point's hard to argue......unless you think "some" intrusion is better than "none".
Old 08-01-2008, 09:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

For simply taking a survey of what you have using a particular property I always suggest setting up a cam in a location where the deer will slow or stop. Good examples inclusde a food source, a fence crossing or a creek crossing. Always look for an area where you can cover an area where multiple trail converge as well. Also, if legal, applying a mineral lick or a bit of corn will allow the camera to capture any deer that moves by it. Good luck

Quick Reply: Trail cam question?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.