Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

It's amazing what can happen in a year

Old 07-31-2008, 08:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default It's amazing what can happen in a year

It's amazing to me, what can happen in a years time.

Within this past year, I've accomplished more than a few tasks I thought I'd never do. I've become completely self sufficient when it comes to bows and I've gained some respect in the archery world. It all comes back to me obtaining my current job at the archery shop and it's honestly been one of the best things that's happened to me. Not just on the archery side of things but more of a responsibility aspect. It's been a little over a year now and I can't believe ow things have changed for me.

In the last year, I've made some life long friends, and I can credit archery to doing this. I've gained a bunch of people's trust, especially when it comes to me working on their equipment. I have people come in now, just wanting to talk to me and asking me to work on their stuff and no one else. That to me, is completely overwhelming. It kind of took me by surprise the first time I had someone ask for me specifically and it's snowballed since then.One of my best friends, now, is a guy that came into the shop to buy a bow, and now we shoot on the weekends together, shoot everynight together, and go to the ASA's together. He's an awesome guy/friend that I would never have met if it wasn't for archery.

On a competitive level, I never thought I would ever accomplish what I've done in 6 months. That surprises me more than anything, and I can't believe it. I never knew I had it in me. . I guess I was blessed with some talent and since discovering it, I've worked and spent as much time as anyone I could imagine. My last month of shooting has really started to show off all my work. I'm still tweaking and changing a few things here and there. I'll be going to my first archery coach ever here in a few weeks. He's a level IV instructer in Alabama. I've spoke with him numerous times, and he's coached some of the best shooters in the country and actually Adam (Hayden) introduced him to me at the Illinois ASA. I can't believe just how much I've improved since shooting my FIRST ever outdoor 3d tournament with Jeff and Aaron, in January.

Bowhunting, this year, will be taken MORE seriously than I ever have. I've always semi followed a scent routine, but it always faded as the season did. I'm going to stick with it all year, play the wind a little more, and just have a LOT of fun doing it. I'll be hunting with some really good friends this year and I can't wait. It really is a blast. I hope to have a hunt or two with a fellow HNI'er or two. That's still in the works if funds are there.

I really have done some SERIOUS growing up in the past year and I hope many of you can see that.

Pretty useless ramble, eh?
Old 07-31-2008, 09:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: It's amazing what can happen in a year

Matt---great post....not a useless ramble at all, but a great read...best of luck this year, I will be rooting for you to score on a big one in Tennessee!
Old 07-31-2008, 09:03 PM

Good for you, if your archery shop was only in western new york.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:03 PM

And more people would sing your praises if you didn't work so hard to sing them yourself
Old 07-31-2008, 09:08 PM

How old are you Matt? I honestly thought that you knew your stuff 9 months ago when I came aboard. Could have fooled me.. great job and good luck!
Old 07-31-2008, 09:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hear that.

I credit much of the same thing, to this site. It's seriously a great place (at times)

I've met a lot of great guys/friends here.

I too hope to meet up with some HNI'ers for a hunt in the future, some already in planning.

Washington Hunter will be here to hunt bear next fall.

And TEmbry and I will be getting together soon (If i can get through his accent[8D]) I called him today and I had to pull over to comprehend. LMAO. (J/K bud)
Old 07-31-2008, 09:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

Kyle, touched on something there that I left out. I can credit a lot of my knowledge to reading here on HNI. When it comes to bowhunting related topics, I just LOVE to sit back and read. When times are slow at work or something, I'll search threads on here and just read. I can learn so much from this place, especially when it comes to bowhunting.

And Kyle, I a lot of people have accents, "down here" [8D]
Old 07-31-2008, 09:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Matt/TN

The thing is, he says I have one. I don't hear it.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: MN/Kyle

ORIGINAL: Matt/TN

The thing is, he says I have one. I don't hear it.
You can only hear opposites.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Not a useless post at all, you put your time and effort in, and look what you got out of it. Congrats.

Quick Reply: It's amazing what can happen in a year

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.