Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Trail cams question (IR without the light)

Old 07-31-2008, 09:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Trail cams question (IR without the light)

Ive seriously noticed the IR gets their attention more than theFlash. I been thinking alot on it lately and you guys just spoke of it sooner, however it really doesnt "spook" them in my situation...... IDK there are too manyvaribles... Im not gonna worry about it, I get a pic and Im happy, whether the tail be up and I see the back of the rack.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:26 AM

The few studys that I have read about ir flash and spooking deer, most concluded the the ir filter switching back and forth was the cause..no the red glow
Old 07-31-2008, 09:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: WVSPORTSMAN

The few studys that I have read about ir flash and spooking deer, most concluded the the ir filter switching back and forth was the cause..no the red glow
WVS, it sounds like you've done some homework on this already. When you say the IR filter switching back and forth, what do you mean by that? Is it a sound or a visible change?

I agree with the filtered IR cameras being better. Then again I would hope so for 10X the cost. Do you know what they are using over the IR LEDs? I am guessing a polarizing filter, but until I get one in my hands I won't know for sure.

Thanks for the info.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: buckmaster

Ive seriously noticed the IR gets their attention more than theFlash. I been thinking allot on it lately and you guys just spoke of it sooner, however it really doesn't "spook" them in my situation...... IDK there are too many variables... I'm not gonna worry about it, I get a pic and I'm happy, whether the tail be up and I see the back of the rack.
I can tell you one thing buckmaster that spooking deer is not what you want to be doing. Thats why I'm trying to address this issue and see what I can do about it.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

ORIGINAL: buckmaster

Ive seriously noticed the IR gets their attention more than theFlash. I been thinking allot on it lately and you guys just spoke of it sooner, however it really doesn't "spook" them in my situation...... IDK there are too many variables... I'm not gonna worry about it, I get a pic and I'm happy, whether the tail be up and I see the back of the rack.
I can tell you one thing buckmaster that spooking deer is not what you want to be doing. Thats why I'm trying to address this issue and see what I can do about it.
I agree with that. It won't take much for the big boys to learn to avoid that area if it bothers them enough to spook them. It could even lead them to being more nocturnal. It's not worth taking that chance.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

I understand that, but I havent spooked any yet that I can soley blame on my camera, Deer a very scittish animals(bet you didnt know that one) Ive got pics of deer and racoons and the deer are spooked by the coons, deer scare each other, there are so many things out there. And a camera doesnt need to be one of them. But for me, Ive not seen enough evidence to convince me that MY camera spooked THAT deer.

Alert them? yes... Spook them? No.

But I agree with what you said 100%
Old 07-31-2008, 09:46 AM

ORIGINAL: HuntingBry

WVS, it sounds like you've done some homework on this already. When you say the IR filter switching back and forth, what do you mean by that? Is it a sound or a visible change?

I agree with the filtered IR cameras being better. Then again I would hope so for 10X the cost. Do you know what they are using over the IR LEDs? I am guessing a polarizing filter, but until I get one in my hands I won't know for sure.

Thanks for the info.
On some cam's...like my I40's you can see the filter and the noise can be heard....if you have an I40, look into the lense area, that big extra black thing is the filter and it will make noise....some of the new cameras from the three companys I mentioned above is trying to do away with the noise the filter makes...for example alot of cameras filters make noise everytime an ir picture is taken...but the new 60 from reconyx only makes the noise twice per day...once to switch to night modeand once switching back to day mode..I have noticed www.chasingame.com has made there own tint to put over the red leds...but it does decrease flash range at night. Imho, deer can smell your scent on cams...anyone in bear country knows this, no matter how hard I try covering and keeping scent off my cams, the bears still find them, investigate and destroy if possible...I have several photos of deer smelling my cams in the past.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks for the info.
On some cam's...like my I40's you can see the filter and the noise can be heard....if you have an I40, look into the lense area, that big extra black thing is the filter and it will make noise....some of the new cameras from the three companys I mentioned above is trying to do away with the noise the filter makes...for example alot of cameras filters make noise everytime an ir picture is taken...but the new 60 from reconyx only makes the noise twice per day...once to switch to night modeand once switching back to day mode..I have noticed www.chasingame.com has made there own tint to put over the red leds...but it does decrease flash range at night. Imho, deer can smell your scent on cams...anyone in bear country knows this, no matter how hard I try covering and keeping scent off my cams, the bears still find them, investigate and destroy if possible...I have several photos of deer smelling my cams in the past.
Thanks for the info!!
Old 07-31-2008, 10:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Man, at 6 Benjamins for the no IR Reconix I'll stick with my $50 flash jobs. The deer don't seem to mind the flash and are always looking at my IR camera.

I'll be willing to be that come next year there will be more filtered IR cameras out and the price will drop on them.

The older RM-30 IR flashwas actually more expensive. Unfortunately I bought one a little more than a year ago, and have been spooking bucks ever since.
Old 07-31-2008, 10:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well, I just spent about an hour of company time on chasingame.com and learned a lot. Thanks for the link WVS. My idea of using a polarized filter for regular IR cameras is something they tried with a simple tinted filter and seemed improve the cameras they tried it on, but as WVS said the filter flipping back and forth still makes noise.

It seems that the no or black IR feature on the Reconyx camera is something they have mastered and cornered right now, but hopefully next year the competition will catch up.

For me it's almost time to relocate or pull the cams anyway so I won't be buying anything new any time soon. Hopefully next year will have some new offerings that will be worthwhile.

Quick Reply: Trail cams question (IR without the light)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.