Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

"Mature Doe"

Old 07-30-2008, 02:51 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: "Mature Doe"

Let me add this to the thread. Of the 30+ deer I've killed, 17 were doe. Of these, only 3 were "mature/matriarch" doe's. The biggest was this one. She weighed 149lbs (butchers scale)dressed with legs cut off.
EI:

The largest does are not necessarily (and here....not even LIKELY) the oldest does.
Old 07-30-2008, 03:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I do %100 yes!!

Hatchet Jack
Old 07-30-2008, 03:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Let me add this to the thread. Of the 30+ deer I've killed, 17 were doe. Of these, only 3 were "mature/matriarch" doe's. The biggest was this one. She weighed 149lbs (butchers scale)dressed with legs cut off.
EI:

The largest does are not necessarily (and here....not even LIKELY) the oldest does.
Oh, are your smallest doe's you most mature?[8D]I never said my statement was "Gospel".Where I hunt though, the largest doe's are the older one's, more often than not. On a side note. If you hunted in Alberta just once, I'd be willing to bet you'd stop asking "mature" buck questions.
Old 07-30-2008, 03:15 PM
Dominant Buck

If you hunted in Alberta just once, I'd be willing to bet you'd stop asking "mature" buck questions.
Hell I don't have to go there. Every time you post I feel like I ought to get frequent flier miles.
Old 07-30-2008, 03:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with you to an extent. Does will snort at hunters and are much more weary of predators. Bucks for most of the year have antlers to fight predators off with, whereas does only have their senses.

With that said, I still think too much credit is given to deer. Yes, they are smart, but they are not geniuses either.

Ultimately, I believedeer are similar to dogs, people and other wild animals in thatthey all haveindividual characteristics. Somedeer regardless of gender may be more catious than others.We all have heard stories of nocturnal bucks etc..
Old 07-30-2008, 03:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

If you hunted in Alberta just once, I'd be willing to bet you'd stop asking "mature" buck questions.
Hell I don't have to go there.
Yes you do. I only scratch the surface Jeff, trust me. It's something that has to beseen to be believed.You would be in your "mature buck" glory! I think it was your "location" thread that got me going there.
Old 07-30-2008, 03:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

Big old does are smart and sometimes and enormous pain, but just due to thier nature & all, they aren't as hard to kill as a mature buck IMO.
Old 07-30-2008, 03:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

I can think of 4 or 5 135" or so bucks that the doe in each scenario saved there ass from me shooting them by winding me or picking up my walk in trail. Certain times of the year (rut) a 4.5+ buck can be as dumb as they get, the doe's never change. Certain times of the year a 4.5+ buck is one tough critter to even see.
Old 07-30-2008, 03:40 PM
Kid
Typical Buck

I agree the lifestyle of a mature Doe may put them in front of you more often, butin my experience they are just as likely, if not more so, than a Buck to pick you off if you make a mistake. By the time hunting season rolls around the Fawns are old enough to not be much ofa distraction anyway. That theory is a bit of a red herring, IMO.
Old 07-30-2008, 03:42 PM
Fork Horn

In my woods you would be hard pressed to find a deer more alert to its surroundings than an old doe. I cant imagine they would be any different anywhere else.