Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How did you guys learn???

Old 07-30-2008, 05:24 PM

Default RE: How did you guys learn???

ORIGINAL: pa_yote_hunter

I was wondering how you guys learned all the technical stuff when it comes to bowhunting? Did you guys have a mentor, read books, or trial and error? I was just wondering because i want more than ever to know as much as i can about my sport that i am getting into. This is just going to be my third season bowhunting and i want to know where i can learn more. I know that this forum is a great place, but was looking for some other sources of input.

for example of what i mean....
"Maxima Hunter arrows will have you shooting tighter, more accurate groups. The key to this is the improved Front of Center design. The 2" Blazer vanes weigh just 5 grains each. Straightness: ±.0025". Weight tolerance: ±1.0 grain per dozen. Per 6. Sizes: 250-8.0 gpi, 350-8.9 gpi."

i have no idea what this means......and i feel i should

steve
Where are you at in pennsylvania? If you are close I would be more than happy to try and help you. But basically I learned a lot by reading everything I could get my hands on. And I learned tons from the shop owners where I know help out at. Those guys helped me alot. And of course good ol trial and error. But the offer stands if your anywhere close to me I invite you to come shooting sometime and I would be more than happy to help you out.
Old 07-30-2008, 05:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

trail and error much error

my first year i learned do not shoot a deer get stuck and tell the guy giving you a ride home where your deer is.

Then i learned there will be 10 to 1 of gun hunters to deer opening day of gun season on public land.
Third year i learned not to move in June when season starts in sept and you move to a state the requires hunter safety coarse.
Then last year i learned blue jean in a tree stand pretty much mean any deer not blind will see you.

I am 100 self thought minus the help i get on this website.

Old 07-30-2008, 05:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

my first year i got my tags grapped a gun and went into the woods. i did do some scent controll not much.
The second i scouted more i skipped my third year because i moved.
Lst year i scouted some more but not much found a spot hung my stand and did more scouting when i did not see any deer.

Now this year. i have been in the woods more in two week then i was all year last year scouting. i have walked as much as 1 mile in the woods one way.
Biggest type i can give is scout scout then when you think your done scout again.
I have found 6 spots three of which i have checked out well and seen deer even a 11 point. I have meant 5 people around town that hunt and say they can not find a good spot to hunt anywhere.
There is a 8000 acre f&w area and a 11000 acres state park within 10 miles and three other areas that are around 20 miles out.

Scouting is the key then scent controll and shooting comes in there some where.
Old 07-30-2008, 05:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm the type that you could preach and preach to me and i'll never learn a thing but if i read it i'll remember for years.
Old 07-31-2008, 01:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

My uncle, was a avid bowhunter years ago (recurves) this was back in the mid 60's....from the time I first went deer hunting with him (age 10)the addition caught on like wildfire...this of course was way before the internet...so I scavenged the library every chance I got, I talked to everyone I came into contact who shot a bow or hunted with a bow...as the years wore on, I found myself trading in my rifle for the bow, the first ones were Bear recurves, and at this point I was only 15 or so...I have had this addition ever since...
Now my wife is addicted,my oldest 27 was not interested in archery or hunting (fishing only)I also have a 15 year old who is addicted to archery (target) not so much hunting...my 12 year old and my 9 year old grandson are extremely addicted now...the 9 year old is shooting three times a weekon my backyard range...so I can say it is a family thing!!! I have been involved with archery and hunting for the last 40+ years, and the one thing I can say, is I always continue to learn...