Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Seeing deer vs having them in range...

Old 07-30-2008, 11:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Seeing deer vs having them in range...

Mobow, I was thinking about the subject of this thread earlier today. I always "see" deer when I'm in the woods, but not always what I'm looking for. Most are within bow range, and when they aren't it's usually the big guys. I've done quite a bit of rattling the past 2 seasons and those have been the times that I've seen the biggest of them - usually at about 60 yards or so.

What it tells me is this, I've been hunting certain spots because I know I'll see deer. This year I won't be so concerned with seeing deer as seeing the right deer.
Old 07-30-2008, 12:02 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Seeing deer vs having them in range...

Most of the time I am hunting spots that are fairly thick. I doubt I see more then 5 or 10 deer a year that are out of my range. I hunt a lot and normally see 10+ deer everytime I go, so the percentage would be really low. I would guess less then 5%.

-john