Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Does velvet mean anything to you?

Old 07-30-2008, 11:25 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Does velvet mean anything to you?

Off subject, but why are yousubjecting
Rob to that?He's a good guy.
I guess the same reason we've hunted together4 previous times. We hate each other.[&:]

True Jeff but I'd peel it off for the mount. I'd shoot it, wouldn't mount it in velvet.
Interesting. I've always wondered what it would look like, peeled off (there's blood in there). Reason I say this....is I've had my two mounts mounted (natural).....without cleaning the antlers. I love the way they look....and wouldn't know how to reproduce that look if the velvet were to be stripped off. Just curious as to what it would look like.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

Chances of me seeing a buck in velvet here in Mn Sept.17th aren't real good but I do know of a few bucks that were shot with there velvet still on. I still wouldn't take one with velvet if he was a young small racked buck. My standards still wouldn't change. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to shoot a buck in velvet, it would go on the wall even if I was going to shoot a little guy.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

A taxidermist friend of mine knows some method where they can duplicate the look of velvet on the antlers. The couple of racks that he has done it on looked just like velvet, but in my opinion it was alittle more gray in color than natural velvet.