Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

do you hunt for mature deer only ?

Old 07-30-2008, 10:21 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: do you hunt for mature deer only ?

I hunt on public land on the eastern shore of maryland. I pass up five or more bucks a year out there. The way I see it, if I see asmall buck I am letting him walk cause he might be alot bigger next year. And a kid on his first hunt might be able to harvest him.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

For the most part I target mature animals be it doe or buck, with the excption of a nice tender doe for the freezer. In addition I do allow family and friends to hunt my areas at certain times and alow them to harvest less mature animals not only to give them opportunity but to help manage the herd
Old 07-30-2008, 10:31 AM
Dominant Buck

How old is a "mature" doe?

And how do you distinguish them?

Nevermind....I'm kidding.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:37 AM
Banned

I've seen three type of replies

A) no, hunters who hunt to shoot animals and they aint that picky. Meat hunters, or just enjoying a nice hunt and a buck tag filled.

B) yes, and attaching that "yes" with a game management plan specifying astandardthey have

C) hunting mature animals because of the challenge

Now, the thread I mentioned ...... theSpider bull, that monster non-typical utah bull that is causing all the hype.Because he's drawing every outfitter's attention, he's got guys camping on him every night, every way possible is being set in motion for a guy to fly in first day of season and shoot him ....... I suggested the Utah G&F tranqulize the bull, and lop his antlers off to the 4th points.

what would that accomplish? Same old smart bull, same mature animal to hunt, the "loss" of inches of antlers to the guys on that thread was just absolutely something some of them couldn't fathom.

why ?

because it aint about the challenge of hunting mature animals, its about net inches

few guys who are "trophy hunters" have said they'd shot Spider bull with half his rack missing.

my question is why wouldn't you ? same old smart bull - the hunt changes not one single bit with part of a rack missing right ?
Old 07-30-2008, 10:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Big Duane

I've seen three type of replies

A) no, hunters who hunt to shoot animals and they aint that picky. Meat hunters, or just enjoying a nice hunt and a buck tag filled.

B) yes, and attaching that "yes" with a game management plan specifying astandardthey have

C) hunting mature animals because of the challenge

Now, the thread I mentioned ...... theSpider bull, that monster non-typical utah bull that is causing all the hype.Because he's drawing every outfitter's attention, he's got guys camping on him every night, every way possible is being set in motion for a guy to fly in first day of season and shoot him ....... I suggested the Utah G&F tranqulize the bull, and lop his antlers off to the 4th points.

what would that accomplish? Same old smart bull, same mature animal to hunt, the "loss" of inches of antlers to the guys on that thread was just absolutely something some of them couldn't fathom.

why ?

because it aint about the challenge of hunting mature animals, its about net inches

few guys who are "trophy hunters" have said they'd shot Spider bull with half his rack missing.

my question is why wouldn't you ? same old smart bull - the hunt changes not one single bit with part of a rack missing right ?
I fall under B, we hunt a management oriented property. If old spider were mature and wasn't but a spike, I am smoking him given the opportunity!!!!
Old 07-30-2008, 10:51 AM
Typical Buck

You're right Duane! Same old, smart bull...the hunt on that bull changes very little with part of a rack missing...but the thing to understand is that among us hunters, there are some who hunt strictly for the net inches orthe trophy mount to hang on the cabin wall. That's just the way it is...like it or not...and it's not going away!

Personally, I'm not supporting one side of the issue or the other. Just pointing out that we hunters all have different ideas of what a trophy is to us, and therefore we all are out for something a little bit different. But I think that's the beauty that surrounds the sport of hunting!! To have the freedom to "choose" whatever it is that you want to tag, for whatever reason you may have. As long as it's done legally, I have no problem with someone who hunts only for net inches just the same as I have no problem with someone who wants to shoot a fork horn because it's a trophy to them!!

We are all unique in our own way!
Old 07-30-2008, 10:58 AM

I just read an artical in Petersons Bowhunting Mag (old issue) and it was about how to lose the want for a monster buck and be happy with any 1.5 to 2.5 year old deer, lets face it, that is what most of the bucks you see are unless you hunt a really well managed piece of land.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Perhaps it's both.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:16 AM
Typical Buck

I try to only take bucks that are 4 1/2 +. That way if I make a "mistake" the buck is probably still 3 1/2. The definition of a trophy is an individual thing. It should be left to the hunter himself. If the deer is a trophy to you then that is all that matters. Most people go though several stages in their hunting career and as they do their definition of trophy will normally change. It is not the definition of trophy that needs to be adjusted but peoples insane need to push their definition of trophy on everyone else.

-john
Old 07-30-2008, 11:20 AM
Dominant Buck

why ?

You just now figuring that out?

Start a 5.5yr old half rack thread and you'll get similar results.

Quick Reply: do you hunt for mature deer only ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.