Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

do you hunt for mature deer only ?

Old 07-30-2008, 07:55 AM

Default RE: do you hunt for mature deer only ?

I have shot little bucks, big bucks, does and fawns, I do each in certain places and I don't in others. I will never be a trophy hunter or mature buck hunter exclusively. I enjoy hunting too much to let it take the fun out of it.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:02 AM
Typical Buck

For the most part, yes.I only shoot 3.5 yo buck or older (trying to discipline myself to be more selective and make sure he will score 140 or better or be over 4.5yo).

As far as doe, I only shoot mature ones for the challenge. I could shoot "a deer" just about everytime I go out, but not much challenge.

We have "depradation" tags to fill each year and I will try and kill 7-10 doe between my place and my friend's place, but can still get it done with targeting the "alpha" doe which are usually as difficult to get in bow range as a mature buck. I feel by doing so, it makes me a better hunter.

There are twoexceptions.
1.If it is late season, I still have my buck tag and haven't seen anything all season that interest me in the way of bucks, then I have on ocassion, taken what I consider to be an inferior spike or 3 pt "cull" buck.

I realize there is data to suggest that we can't accurately predict what will eventually grow to a trophy, but right or wrong I have been known to do it.

2. If at the end of the season, I need to kill a few more doe for management purposes than what I have already done, I'll invite a friend with a young kid to gun hunt and take out what I feel still needs to be done.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not sure how to answer. Most of my stands are set up in thick, nasty, brushy setups where I have found beds/sheds etc. Signs of a mature deer. When I'm hunting those spots, I'm not actually hunting one specific animal or size animal. I justlike to be set up in a position to take a good buck. Mature or not mature....who's to say. Lots of people would argue that a 3 1/2 isn't mature, but most would agree that the average midwest 3 1/2yo buckisbig.By big, I mean usually will field dress 165lbs + and have a good rack. Mature...probably not. Big enough for me? Every day of the week.[&:]

Old 07-30-2008, 08:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

Sometimes I do go out to hunt mature bucks only, just depends upon the situation...But...

We own 3 farms and raise corn, soybeans, peanuts, wheat and cotton...Deer can decimate a bean field if the population
is not kept in check, so we also kill a lot of does as well...Last year we killed 46 deer on these farms,4bucks were mature,
if I remember correctly we killed a total of 7 bucks off these farms, 3 were killed by younger hunters, we let them kill whatever
they want to...
Old 07-30-2008, 09:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

No. I hunt for the buck with the biggest rack I can honestly expect to kill in my area. As I've said in the past, you can't score "mature".For me, from this point forward, it's all about antler size or I'll just shoot another doe.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

No, i hunt to learn
Old 07-30-2008, 09:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

yes only bucks over 4.5 years or older.......ive been hunting for bucks like this for i think 3 years now
Old 07-30-2008, 10:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

I will never be a trophy hunter or mature buck hunter exclusively. I enjoy hunting too much to let it take the fun out of it.
I've heard that said before and it puzzles me every time. [&:]Trophy hunting it not enjoyable?

To answer the original question, I try to target bucks that are at least 3.5 years old, I'll let the peanut gallery decide if that is mature. In regards to does, mostly I will try to take a larger one, but given some of the places I hunt, ANY female deer is putting herself in peril if she gets within range.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:17 AM
Fork Horn

Yes I do for the most part. I don't see the point in shooting a small buck. If I was that hungry, I would much rather shoot a doe. There are a lot of people on here with the mentality that if I don't shoot it, someone else will. I don't believe in that. If you let the small bucks walk for a couple of years, you will reap the benefits year after year after that. That is what we are experiencing in my area anyway.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:17 AM
Dominant Buck

I've heard that said before and it puzzles me every time. [&:]Trophy hunting it not enjoyable?
I hear ya Ryan. I'm the most analytical hunter I know (personally)....and I put more pressure on myself to achieve things than anyone I know (hutning-wise).

And THAT is "fun"....to ME.

What passes for "fun" with many......would be MIND-NUMBING, to me. To each his own.

Quick Reply: do you hunt for mature deer only ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.