Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Buying arrow shafts and heads.

Old 03-06-2003, 05:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Buying arrow shafts and heads.

i have decided to use my bow. it will work for the job. i can shoot with it but i need to put a new quiver on her and some sites. can you help me out. also i lost some arrows. i have 1 left so i know the size. it is a easton game getter 2117. is that all i need to know to get that kinda arrow agin. and what about arrow heads. i heard that muzzys were good. what kind of grain should i have for deer.

info is greatley appreacted
Old 03-06-2003, 06:45 PM

Default RE: Buying arrow shafts and heads.

mrfishy,

You should choose your arrow to best fit your needs. If you are looking for a longer lasting arrow, then, in my opinion, a good carbon is better, but, if you want aluminums, there are some good ones on the market.

Now, what draw length are you shooting and what poundage is your bow? At MINIMUM, you are going to have to have 5 grains of arrow per pound of draw weight. 7 grains is about perfect for hunting situations. So, if you are drawing 60 pounds, that would be around 420 grains of arrow.

As far as a broadhead, there are a bunch of good ones on the market. Weight of the BH is pretty much up to you. There are ways of determining the optimum weight of a broadhead, but, they are complicated for the begineer. I would say that 100 grains is the average broadhead weight.

Now, you have to decide if you want a mechanical or fixed blade broadhead. If you are going for a mechanical, the Rocky Mountain Snypers (a little expensive), are one of your best bets. Along with those you have the N.A.P. Spitfires, and the Steelforce broadheads.
If you are looking for a good fixed blade broadhead, you have fewer options, but, the two top dogs of fixed blade broadheads are the Muzzy' s, and N.A.P. Thunderheads. I personally like the Thunderheads better, but, its just preference. The Thunderheads are the number one selling broadhead in the U.S. but, the Muzzy' s have to be VERY close. I like the design of the T-Heads better, they are INCREDIBLY sharp out of the package, strong, and fly very well.

Talk to 5shot about it, he does tests on many different types of broadheads each year and he will be able to give you alot of information.
Old 03-06-2003, 10:05 PM
Fork Horn

Hey, I agree with buck magnet You should go with a good carbon arrow. Plus that game getter aluminum arrow is an old type of arrow but if you dont want carbon go with the Easton XX78' s 2117 they are good also
Old 03-07-2003, 02:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Dont let the price of carbon arrows scare ya away! Alluminum arrows are perfectly fine , especially for a newbie. I dont remember what setup you have but I would be willing to bet that a 2314 or 2315 would be the correct spine seeing as the old arrows were 2117 (80' s flashback). Either Easton Gamegetters , XX75 or XX78' s will work fine.
Old 03-07-2003, 01:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

i dont know what kind of arrow to get. i am thinkin about gettin carbon arrows but i am not sure yet. what do i need from my old arrow shaft. or should i just talk to a guy about it. or do i just need the number 2117 for buying easton arrows and it will be good for my bow. that is the number on the arrow i have right know
Old 03-07-2003, 03:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Post your setup. Bow , poundage , draw length , arrow rest , and I can help you select a shaft , either alluminum or carbon. The 2117 on your arrow is the size of the arrow. The 2117' s were very popular in the 70' s and 80' s , if you walked into a proshop to get set up back then chances are you' d be walking out with 2117' s. Thats not the case today , I can pretty much guarantee you' ll be shooting a different arrow.
Old 03-07-2003, 04:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

is draw lenght at full draw? i have found easton game getters that are 2117. i am not sure about the arrow rest. it is a little rubber thing on it already but there is a hole there to put a different one on i think
Old 03-07-2003, 08:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes , draw length is at full draw. If you have an archery shop around , you could take your bow there and they could make sure it' s the proper draw length. They could also set you up with the correct arrows. I need alot more info to be of any help.
Old 03-09-2003, 04:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

ok. i am lookin at buyin a bow with set at 60#. my draw lenght is about 27 to 28" . how i figured this out. i took a yard stick put it up at the top of my chest bone. bottom of neck and streched my arms out and i got 27 inches. em i am not sure what kind of arrow rest he has on the bow. it is a high country max force dont know if i am going to get it he has to send me some more info on it. should i get carbon arrows. why ar carbon arrows better than aluminum arrows?
Old 03-09-2003, 07:29 PM

Arrow selection is a lot more then picking up an arrow and shooting it.

This URL has a good chart for your needs.

http://www.martinarchery.com/easton/eastchrt.html

Quick Reply: Buying arrow shafts and heads.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.