Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Wisconsin bowhunt

Old 07-29-2008, 01:13 PM

Default Wisconsin bowhunt

Ok my northern brothers of the bow I need your help. I have been offered the oppertunity to spend a week in Bayfield county on a DIY hunt near Ashland Wis. As a natural born southerner I have no idea what to look forward to. I can use any info you guys can offer. Clothing, climate, deer density & size. The hunt is scheduled for November during the week of Veterans day holiday. Thanks in advance for the help.

This will be in the Chequamegan National Forrest
Old 07-29-2008, 01:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Wisconsin bowhunt

Check with Ruttnut, he lives right there.
Old 07-30-2008, 04:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

That's big country withold, large,deer, there just won't be many of them. That's a great time to hunt that area. You'll probably need some warm clothes. At that time of year, mornings will be in the 'teen,s' and '20's'. It could get into the '50's by afternoon. You might have snow. Bring a compass or GPS.
Old 07-30-2008, 05:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

First of all when will you be coming up to hunt? If its in Sept you dont have too much to worry about for cold weather, usually doesnt start getting real cold untill late october-nov. But time of the season is going to be the main factor of what gear to bring up here. The chance at a nice buck should be fair in the early season and rut.
Old 07-30-2008, 05:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

wis bow huntr:

The hunt is scheduled for November during the week of Veterans day holiday. Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 07-30-2008, 06:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

OK it can get pretty cold by then. Get yourself a good pair of warm boots, insulated bibs dont hurt either. A good warm jacket and gloves are a plus. bugt then again ive seen it 70 deg in Nov as well. If youre hunting from a stand youll want to be as warm as possible.
Old 07-30-2008, 06:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

I love frosty Wisc. mornings. It's taking me back.

Good luck with your hunt. Hope you score.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: wis_bow_huntr

OK it can get pretty cold by then. Get yourself a good pair of warm boots, insulated bibs dont hurt either. A good warm jacket and gloves are a plus. bugt then again ive seen it 70 deg in Nov as well. If youre hunting from a stand youll want to be as warm as possible.
You got that right, the forecast could be Sunny and 78* with a low of 22 and 11" of snow after midnight, be prepared for all conditions! I tell you what, sure is a good time of year to be in the big woods! Have fun and good luck!
Old 07-30-2008, 09:15 AM

I live in the Heart of the Chequamegon National Forest..(Cable, Wi)....pm me and I can answer any questions you may have. I've hunted these woods all my life...Still hunt them now......
Old 07-30-2008, 09:19 AM

Chequamegon is a LARGE forest...what township are you staying in...Ashland is actually in Ashland County... I may even know the person whom offered you the hunt....

Quick Reply: Wisconsin bowhunt

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.