Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Chigger question

Old 07-29-2008, 01:14 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Chigger question

We're used to them down here. For the most part you just watch where you step. If your in a really thick shady grass (like crab grass) area you can bet they will be hiding out for you. Or a wet thick grassy area (like near a pond) Make sure you wear long pants and keep them tight around the ankles of your boots. If they do get in it's all over. They prefer the crotch area. Once you've been bitten there isn't much you can do but wait it out. The trick is to not get eaten.
Old 07-29-2008, 01:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like to use a solid piece of ice and freeze em as soon as they start to itch then let it air dry and use nail polish or if your really tough and want to dry them up fast nail polish remover.
Old 07-29-2008, 01:31 PM
Typical Buck

There was a convicted murderer who escaped from the prison in southeastern OK, he was hidden in the woods for 3 days in August and they couldn't find him no matter how hard they tried. Finally, he gives himself up and they ask him if it was the intense manhunt that made him come to his senses and he replied, 'No it was those #%@! chiggers, I just couldn't take anymore!' That's how bad they are.
Old 07-29-2008, 01:59 PM
Typical Buck

If you wear your scent-loc, after it's been washed in UV eliminating soap, tuck your pant legs into your dream season boots and spray down with scent killer before going into the woods they won't be able to see you, smell you or bite you. [8D]
Old 07-29-2008, 02:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

I always wipe the bitten area with ammonia. It burns for a bit and then sweet relief! Have you ever seen a product in stores called the "Afterbite Stick"? Its active ingredient is ammonia.
Old 07-29-2008, 02:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

I've always used bleach as soon as I got home... leave it on for a few minutes then wash off... It works. I keep a small spray bottle of it handy.

And you're right Greg, Ammonia soothes the bites.
Old 07-29-2008, 04:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mineral Ice that stuff works wonders on them.
Old 07-29-2008, 04:04 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: early in

Chiggers? Only something I've heard of. Iknow nothing about them, other than you don't want to get them. I don't even know what kind of enviornment they prefer. I don't know if their even in my woods.[&:]Can they even be seen with the naked eye?Let's hear it.
Your too far north so count yourself lucky.They are why I hate hunting in NC until after the first good frost. I would rather run to MD.

Bruce good post. The other remidies will also work.

Old 07-29-2008, 05:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well it wasn't me that had them. My daughter called and said a friend of hers son had them. I take precautions by using Peramone before entering the woods. I have almost always to the best of my knowledge got them while walking through the leaves on the forest floor. Since using Peramone I never had a return bout with them nasty devils. Thanks for the remedies, I'll pass them all alone.

Old 07-29-2008, 05:51 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: NavyDeerHunter

If you wear your scent-loc, after it's been washed in UV eliminating soap, tuck your pant legs into your dream season boots and spray down with scent killer before going into the woods they won't be able to see you, smell you or bite you. [8D]
LOL that was a good one!

Quick Reply: Chigger question

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.