Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How long have you been doing this??

Old 07-29-2008, 12:55 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: How long have you been doing this??

Man you couldnt get me out of the woods all my life. I think I was about 8 yrs old when I built my first Fort. I mean a badass log cabin fort, all notched and tied together with rope...even had a woodstove in it. We used to bring our .22's, my dads recurve, and shoot at anything that moved or could fly.

The I got a red Bear youth. All 55#'s of it. I had so much funwith it I got bored of it and it hung in the basement with my dads recurve. They sat there for years until I took an archery class in phys ed in school.

Thats when I started llearning how to shoot. I would shoot crawfish in the creeks and squirrels in my yard. Been hunting with a shotgun since about 12 or 13, and just started back with the bow 2 years ago. I shot my Hoyt and thought there isnt a better bow out there for me.
Old 07-29-2008, 01:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

I got a Fred Bear compound in 1985 when I was 9 years old. I used to shoot in the back yard with my dad before I was old enough to hunt. I shot aluminum arrows with finger tabs and no sight.

When I turned 12 in 1988 he bought me a Darton MX-30 to hunt with. I still have that bow, and I actually hunted with it up until about8 years ago.

I'm 32 now, so I guess I've been doing this off and on for about 23 years or so.
Old 07-29-2008, 02:28 AM
Typical Buck

i started with my father when i was 4 and never stopped since so that makes it 40 years dammmmmmm
Old 07-29-2008, 02:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

my dad started taking me pretty much as soon as i could walk. i started actually carrying a gun when i was 7. so 8 years for me.
Old 07-29-2008, 05:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

I started in 1969 or 1970.Used to shoot recurves at the YMCA.I guess my parents got tired of me breaking tree branches and bushes to make bows and arrows so they enrolled my older bro and me in archery classes.Still shooting the recurves and longbows
Old 07-29-2008, 05:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

If my memory serves me right I in my 34th year.
Old 07-29-2008, 05:41 AM
Typical Buck

This will be 32 seasons.
Old 07-29-2008, 06:25 AM
Dominant Buck

I didn't start doing anything serious with bows until I was 27. But hey, most of you weren't even alive atthat time.[&:] So, I've been doing it for almost 38 years.
Old 07-29-2008, 06:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

I used to shoot a bow in gym class and cub scouts, but it never really stuck until I bought my Bear Whitetail Hunter and started hunting with it when I was 15. That will be 20 years ago this fall.
Old 07-29-2008, 08:09 AM

My dad gave me an old 25lb Ben Pearson Jet and a quiver full of old wood arrows that my grandfather gave him at about the age of 8 and I have been hooked ever since. I used to stand out there shooting until I couldn't pull that bow back. Then at about age 11 My dad bought me my first compound. A 1988 Golden Eagle Target bow (Which I still own) He managed to get it, a shooting glove, 1/2 doz Easton autum orange 1918's, a trebark camo arm guard, and a pack of 6 satellite broadheads, and a simple painted pin site and spring rest all for $100 from a co-worker who was a PA state archery champ who shot for Golden Eagle. The bow was Brand New. I continued to shoot that bow off and on Until at age 19 I was convinced to try bowhunting by some college Buddies. (The only other hunting I ever did was bowfishing for shark and stingray growing up with my dads 70's era Bear Black Bear Recurve.) See my dad never bowhunted and I know my grandfather used to but he passed away before I was able to hunt. OMG I knew nothing about bows. I just went out and bout some 125grn Bear razorheads and grabbed 6 easton aluminum arrows from walmart and bam I thought I was ready to go. LOL! Well little did I know I managed to take a Button buck my very first bowhunting outing and I have been hooked ever since. OMG I cringe when I think back at how little I knew about bowhunting and archery. So basically I have been shooting for about 23 years but only bowhunting for the past 12.

Quick Reply: How long have you been doing this??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.