Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Dressing Deer

Old 07-28-2008, 07:21 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Dressing Deer

I gut it wher it lays unless hes in some water or in a tight spot .
The coy dogs and black birds usualy have it gone within a day .
I use the short and long dispoable gloves .
If I get bloody or want to clean my knife I,ll use snow or a creek ./
Old 07-29-2008, 06:36 AM
Typical Buck

Please explain to me how water can taint the taste of meat...
Becausein warm weather, damp meat will spoil faster than dry meat.In cold weather, the water potentially could freeze meat in the carcus. Both can taint the taste of the meat.
Old 07-29-2008, 06:45 AM

I do both, some areas I gut on site, others I take to the barn and clean them out. I hunt a cattle farm in mason, wv and the farmer prefers me to field dress in the barn.I prefer to gut in the field when I have the option.
Old 07-29-2008, 08:16 AM
Dominant Buck

I take it up an old logging road and field dres it on a loped bank. Then..to the house.....and I use the gambrel in one of my buildings. And yeah.....I use the garden hose to wash everything off before putting it in a cooler for up to a week, before I take it to the processor.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:57 AM
Typical Buck

I almost always gut the deer as soon as possible, pretty much where it lays! I will also use some clean water (if I have it) to help rinse out the cavity and aid in cooling if at all possible. Never heard that water can taint the meat in any way, or detract from it's taste??!! That's a new one. The quicker you can get the animal to cool, the better!
Old 07-29-2008, 12:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: valor10

Please explain to me how water can taint the taste of meat...
e

Becausein warm weather, damp meat will spoil faster than dry meat.In cold weather, the water potentially could freeze meat in the carcus. Both can taint the taste of the meat.
Well...I throw mine in a cooler with ice for about a week, been doing this for 40 some years, no tainted meat yet...

When I bow hunt the temps are usually in the 80s...So I clean them on the farm...I have 2 trees about 6 feet apart with eye bolts in them, I throw the deer on the rack of my 4-wheeler, carry to the skinning trees and use a rachet pulley to attach to the eye bolts and pull the deer up with the
4-wheeler...I then skin them and throw the boned meat into the cooler and ice down on the way home...This leaves the carcass in the woods for the other critters to clean up and the meat is on ice usually within 2 hours of the kill...I drain the water every day or two and add about a quart of vinegar to help pull the blood out...
Old 07-29-2008, 04:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thats why i do that as well.

ORIGINAL: magicman54494

I always gut them where they lay. That way I don't have to drag the extra weight and I don't have to mess with disposing the guts later.
Old 07-29-2008, 04:14 PM
Dominant Buck

Where it falls, well at least within a few yards.
Old 07-29-2008, 04:18 PM

in the feild usely where they lay unless it is on someone elses property or it dies in a creek " DEER SEEM TO DO THAT A LOT"
Old 07-29-2008, 04:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I gut them out in the field . i pick a good spot usually with in a couple yards of where they fell put on gloves and go to it

Quick Reply: Dressing Deer

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.