Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Compound bow - set up question

Old 07-29-2008, 01:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Compound bow - set up question

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Jeff, your sketch is correct. Did it provide any information to you? To me, I see that if you move the target up/down, and/or the bow up/down, the arrow CANNOT be parallel to the ground any more as indicated in your sketch. (I better list my obvious assumption since you seem very interested in picking nits today: you dont move 'each' the same distance one direction)
Any information? Sure.....it set up my next question. I had to make sure I was thinking correctly on THAT one beofre I made any assumptions on the next one. So yeah....I learned something. It's not picking nits.....it either "is" or it "isn't". No grey area. Couldn't move "each" the same.....even on the same bow/setup. Never eluded to that.....and admitted my sketch was not to scale.

OK.....so that being what "is"......

What happens on the straight down shot?.....since gravity becomes a non-factor?

I may have just proved MYSELF wrong in a previous post......which was what I was after.

Assuming the shooter/hunter was 20yds up in the tree (for this exercise).......it would seem the lines would NOT meet back at 20yds (even though they WOULD still meet at 'per Matt/PA' 8yds)......and the shooter would shoot HIGH if he utilized his 20yd pin.

Is THIS incorrect/correct logic?
That is exactly right! and why you have to aim low when shooting from a tree!! Although Matt's 8 yrds may be more like 12 depending on the distance to target.

The arrow is no longer traveling perpendicular to gravity, the the affect is lessed...
Old 07-29-2008, 01:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Assuming the shooter/hunter was 20yds up in the tree (for this exercise).......it would seem the lines would NOT meet back at 20yds (even though they WOULD still meet at 'per Matt/PA' 8yds)......and the shooter would shoot HIGH if he utilized his 20yd pin.

Is THIS incorrect/correct logic?
I think you are spot on. You would not hit 'quite' the same place at 8 yards as you would have horozontally since gravity still has an effect on your arrow as soon as you leave your bow, but over the 1/4 second or so your arrow is 'in flight' that effect is small. The arrow should continue out on a strait line 90 degrees/plum from your string after the arrow has left the bow since you are pointing the bow strait down in this case and gravity will only pull the arrow forward (to the ground).
Old 07-29-2008, 01:34 PM
Dominant Buck

I haven't shot this shot in a couple years, now.....and it's clear I didn't understand it whenI was shooting it (for practice, only). I'm really trying to learn something with all this.....if you'll bear with me.
Old 07-29-2008, 01:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Jeff, here a is a pic of trajectory, note, the different angles are angles of launch. I.E. the angle the arrow is relative to horizontal when it leaves the bow.

Old 07-29-2008, 01:39 PM

So technically if you could shoot "straight" down, the flight of your arrow would no longer be a parabolic curve, and would once again be very nearly a straight line. Your sights would be setup to compensate for the curve of the mystical flight of the arrow, which would no longer exist... Now the arrows path IS a straight line (which we said didn't happen, my my crow tastes good). Now you should shoot high because your sights are compensating for dro that isn't there.
Old 07-29-2008, 01:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I haven't shot this shot in a couple years, now.....and it's clear I didn't understand it whenI was shooting it (for practice, only). I'm really trying to learn something with all this.....if you'll bear with me.

I have never taken the shot tho would be interesting to find somewhere to practice 20 yards straid down.