Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

In your opinion...

Old 07-28-2008, 04:54 AM

Default RE: In your opinion...

I like the camera, provides lots of info.
Old 07-28-2008, 07:22 AM

Yeh, I have thought about saving up for one but after all the dues paid for hunting I just don't have it.
Old 07-28-2008, 07:46 AM
Dominant Buck

VA....

To ME it's an "inventory" thing. I use one camera to just see what's out there......pre-season. Once the season rolls around....I pull my camera.

What this has done in the past.....is let me know "if" a buck I'm interested in "IS" in the area. Up until now.....it didn't make much difference....as it was the only lands I had access to. Now.....I'm not putting up cameras on the other properties....and it wont make me hutn those areas any differently (naturally). The only thing I may do.....is hunt them (new lands) more......if the areas I've had access to don't show signs of bucks I'm targeting.

I'm looking forward to not knowing on some of these spots.
Old 07-28-2008, 07:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

Personally, I love putting a few (I only have two) cameras out after the season just to see what made it through the season. It's more curiousity then anything else. Don't have any out right now but probably will in Sept.
Old 07-28-2008, 07:56 AM
Typical Buck

OK Landon, I wont show you the one that I caught on tape where you will be hunting next year!
Old 07-28-2008, 08:45 AM

Viper I didn't say I wouldn't look at em!!!
Old 07-28-2008, 08:50 AM

for me using a trail camera is a type of hunting in itself... i have to drive close to an hour to get my camera and the same back to the house to check the card... that is very very suspenseful.. gets the ole heart pounding like im sittin in the stand... provides a little motivation... ive only ever killed one deer that i have had a picture of but that was before i started hunting on a lease about halfway through last season
Old 07-28-2008, 08:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

GMMAT usedan excellentword, "inventory". I've never thought of it that way, but that's exactly what I do. I just wanna see how the herd looks each year after winter season. I like seeing newborn fawns and bucks growing new racks, just to get an idea of what I'm hunting this year. I have no use for my camera during the season. I feel that I can do much better scouting myself while I'm in the woods than that camera can dostrapped on a tree for a week. Plus you have to go in and spread your scent everywhere when you check it, which may run the deer off completely from that area, depending on hunting pressure. I don't think cams take away suspense, maybe the surprise factor because you will know ALMOST every deer you have, but the suspense can never be taken away for me. Like someone else said, you may get pics of bucks on your camera and never see them in the woods, BUT you may NOT get pictures of a buck that you may KILL on your property this year. My big buck from last season was never on my camera. I was watching a 24 inch wide 8 point on my camera for two years, saw him one time at night on the road coming out. He was killed on the club next to us. There's always gonna be suspense and excitement for me, no matter what kinda pics I have.
Old 07-28-2008, 09:01 AM
Typical Buck

I have several cameras! Two Cuddeback Excite's and a Bushnell TrailSentry. Truthfully, I really enjoy the suspense of "what might be" lurking on the farm that I hunt. I, like many others, don't see a lot of the bucks while hunting, that I get on my camera! But I think that it helps to keep me in the woods during the season and in the stand an extra hour, just knowing that there are a couple of quality deer in the vicinity.
Old 07-28-2008, 09:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

They don't take anything away from the hunt itself for me!!!! They are more for entertainment and to see what is out there. If I see a buck that I have pictures of or get to take a buck that I have pictures of, the excitement level is just as high as it was 3 years ago when I wasn't using them. As Jeff said, they are a good tool for inventory and I will add enttertainment to that !!!

Quick Reply: In your opinion...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.