Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How do you get your deer into the truck bed

Old 07-27-2008, 05:08 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default How do you get your deer into the truck bed

If your hunting alone how do you lift your deer (dead one of course) into the back of your truck. What I would like to do is carry a 2x6 piece of lumber with me and lay it on the ground, put the deer on it towards the middle of the board, lift the one end up and place on the tailgate and then lift the other end up and slide it in, but I always forget the board so I just bear hug the beast and lift one end at a time and get all bloody doing it.So what's your method?
Old 07-27-2008, 05:15 AM

Default RE: How do you get your deer into the truck bed

If I'm by myself (which i usually am) i get the head, or antlers up on the tailgate. then while holding the deers head or front feet on the tailgate i wiggle my way onto the tailgate as well. once you are in the truck and have a hold of the deer it is much easier to slide them on up. The adrenaline of loading a nice buck helps too. I have had to drive back to the house and get the tractor before, in that case i just slide them on the mower.
Old 07-27-2008, 05:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

i struggle but I get it in the back of my jeep. Normally i end up pissed off and bloody!
Old 07-27-2008, 06:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Last year I built one of those carry all's that goes in the reciever hitch, it is way easier to get it in there thanall the way up in the back of the truck, of course the furthestI hunt from camp is 3+ miles.
Old 07-27-2008, 06:30 AM

Usually I hunt with my dad, so we don't have too much of a problem getting one loaded up. However, we've hunted out of a NissanPathfinder, Blazer (S-10), and a Toyota 4-Runner the last several years...

It'll be interesting to see how we load them in the back of my F-150. [&:]It's high enough my dog can't jump into the bed on his own.
Old 07-27-2008, 07:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

A lot or times I hunt the up hill side of the road so I can back into a bank to load it fairly easily.
When I can't I just stand up on the tailgate and walk back using whatever drag strap I have on it.
Old 07-27-2008, 07:44 AM
Fork Horn

I use a small trailer to pull my 4-wheeler. It's a lot easier to get deer into that than it is into a truck bed (especially if said deer is already on the 4-wheeler!). Usually I just drag him/her right up the ramp behind the 4-wheeler.

Old 07-27-2008, 07:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I take my left arm and wrap it over the neck of the deer and my right hand under the body just behind the front legs/shoulder and lift. Once the head and front legs are in I grab the tail while still holding onto the front legs and slide it in.
Old 07-27-2008, 08:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

I struggle with it usually, if it's a buck I grap the antlers once up on the gate and pull.. If its just too darn big I usually go get some help.. Looking at some extended cab long bed trucks, if I do that I may just put a small winch back there.. Would be good for a lot..
Old 07-27-2008, 08:34 AM
Fork Horn

I am usually not real far from my truck ,so what i did was buy a game cart, you can get them ar cabela's for around a hundred dollars, you won't be sorry believe me. After i get the deer on the game cart and back to my truck, i lay the handle of the cart on my tailgate then grab the wheels and lift it like a wheelbarel. It's real easy

Quick Reply: How do you get your deer into the truck bed

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.