Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How far do you walk?

Old 07-26-2008, 09:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How far do you walk?

600 yards plus to all my stands, I hunt about 2 1/2 miles (as the crow flies) from camp but I park in a spot that leaves me at least 600yds from any stand I hunt. I also have a couple stands thatI walk to from camp that are the farthest, at least 800yds from camp, these are all rocky hilly climbs too (makes it fun)...
Old 07-26-2008, 09:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have to work around of locked gates. I ride my bike alot. Most spots I hunt that are worthwhile have me walking/riding around 3/4th-1 mile.
Old 07-26-2008, 09:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: virginiashadow

I have to work around of locked gates. I ride my bike alot. Most spots I hunt that are worthwhile have me walking/riding around 3/4th-1 mile.
I,m thinking about investing in a bike this year.
Old 07-26-2008, 09:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

gri22ly---find a used mountain bike in the newspaper. It is one of my best tools. Just figure out how to package your stuff up and you will be set. I strap all my stuff to my portable climber. Just dress light so as to avoid overheating and you are all set.
Old 07-26-2008, 09:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wondered how a bike would work. Going in the dark I'd probably clothesline myself from a tree limb or hit a log and flip over the handle bars. Not a bad suggestion for evening hunts though.
Old 07-26-2008, 09:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

gri22ly---find a used mountain bike in the newspaper. It is one of my best tools. Just figure out how to package your stuff up and you will be set. I strap all my stuff to my portable climber. Just dress light so as to avoid overheating and you are all set.
Maybe get a bow pack andfabricate an aluminum frame for my stand, or just hunt from lock on's. How do you pack your stuff?
Old 07-26-2008, 09:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use my portable climber. I then take all my clothes and ratchet strap them to my climber. After that, I place my bow on top of my clothes (so to pad the bow) and then strap it down with a ratchet strap or a bungee cord. I make it all nice and tight so nothing clings or bangs. It really is not that hard once you figure out what you want to bring in, then just package it all up tightly.

If you have a portable climber, most of them have backpack straps. If yours does not, then you can make backpack straps out of about any type of fabric or ratchet straps.
Old 07-26-2008, 09:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

i usually walk as it seems most everyone else walks. 1/4 to a mile to get to different stand sites
Old 07-26-2008, 10:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: gri22ly

Maybe get a bow pack andfabricate an aluminum frame for my stand, or just hunt from lock on's. How do you pack your stuff?
Sorry, I see that you strap it all to your stand. Did not read it throughly. Thanks for the info I will be trying it this year.
Old 07-27-2008, 03:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

half mile either way

Quick Reply: How far do you walk?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.