Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Treestands and harnesses

Old 07-28-2008, 08:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Treestands and harnesses

ORIGINAL: TexasBowHunter

I will hang my stands anywhere from 15' and up....YES....ALWAYS WEAR A SAFETY BELT!!!!!!!! I prefer to be around 20' if I am hunting where that is possible....I have the HSS vest and I really like it, easy to put on and the linemans belt is great for hanging the stands....Good Luck and be safe!!!!

I personally don't want my wife and kids enjoying that insurance money any time soon.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:11 AM
Fork Horn

Sounds good. Im going to get the HSS reversable one so i can use it during rifle season as well in my stand.

I too have one big 15ft ladder stand that is enclosed with sides and a rifle rest. I can stand up in it and dance if i felt the need. The new stand i bought for archery is very very standard...Just a seat 15ft up. I didnt think much of it when i put it up, but when i stood up there and took a few practice shots at a 3-d it felt very hairy...Im going to get a harness and the quick attach system. I dont want to fall...lol

I thought it would be ok, but like you said...who knows what i will do if abig buck comes in range....Id rather be strapped to the tree than have gravity work against me...
Old 07-28-2008, 08:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like to hunt off the sides of ridges lookin down into hollows and bottoms. If Ionly climbed to15 feet up, I would be busted every time as I would be at eye level to the deer coming off the ridge behind me. When I'm in my climber in this situation, I go high enough to be about 12 feet higher than the tallest ground around me, sometimes 30 feet up, WITH A HARNESS, but I never put it on until I'm settled in. I had a bad scare 3 years ago climbin on the side of a ridge like this. I got about 35 feet up a pine tree with no harness on, still facing towards the tree, and heard something bust up through the woods beside me. I quickly reached overtomy pull rope to get my gun up, andthe top section slipped and slid down to the platform. I was somehow able, (GOD), to take my weight off the top part and balance on the platform until I could get it set back up. From then on, I have worn a safetyharness. I also don't use a pull rope much anymore.Now I usually strap it around my neck and let it hang in the front on my chest, UNLOADED.I havea few 16 foot ladder standsand lock-ons about 20 feet up, and Ialways always always wear a harness.
Old 07-28-2008, 09:34 AM
Typical Buck

I started using a safety vest religiously last year. I purchased the $129 mesh vest for myself and I got my son the $75 version. Love the storage pockets that keeps my stuff easily accesible while hunting. Now, I don't think twice. Before I leave the truck, my vest is already on and buckled. By the time I arrive at my stand, I've forgotten that I'm wearing it. SERIOUSLY!! Don't take tree stand safety lightly!
Old 07-28-2008, 10:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

safety harness....Always. tree stand heights, lowest being around 12-15 ft. highest around 30 ft.
Old 07-28-2008, 02:36 PM
Fork Horn

The HSS harness just isnt in the budget for me right now...i have spent a bunch already on the new bow and some gear as well...its gonna have to wait a little while for me to budget it in...

Old 07-28-2008, 02:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am getting a HSS this weekend for my brithday from my parents. It will be nice to have!
Old 07-28-2008, 02:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

26-35 feet and yes i always wear a safety system