Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Did the tight angle, short shot test today at 2 yards

Old 07-26-2008, 05:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Did the tight angle, short shot test today at 2 yards

ORIGINAL: buckmaster

ORIGINAL: LouisianaTomkat

Hmmm, does not look quite like you were aiming at a spot the diameter of an arrow. (or else you would have had 3 robinhoods. pffft)
True Robinhoods have to be in the Bullseye

im going to try those shots tomorrow, see what happens out of my bow.
Old 07-26-2008, 05:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

BTW GMMAT, I get the geometry behind your argument. The arc of the arrow in the beginning is below the 20 yard center shot, thereby hitting low at such a close angle, before the arrows rises. In theory, it should happen 100 percent of the time.
Old 07-26-2008, 05:51 PM
Dominant Buck

In theory, it should happen 100 percent of the time.
How can it NOT?(barring user error)
Old 07-26-2008, 05:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: RobinAim Low

ORIGINAL: virginiashadow

Not really sure why I am able to hit good using the method I do, because it seems everyone else uses their 40 yard pin on such tight shots?
I don't. That has never proven to be right (or should I say necessary) for me either. BTW...it is all about form and horizontal distance so having the right form up in the tree will give you the same result (arrow impact) as standing on the horizontal.

I was "reminded" in another thread that in the next to the tree type shots I would have to think about what pin I would use, so I got out my turkey blind bow and took a couple shots at 8 feet and 18 yards. Arrows touched and both in the 2 inch dot. Probably means I missed a little with one or both shots cause I can't shoot that good. But I am ok with that, cause shooting dots don't mean squat to me...

Differences in results with different set ups in this scenario are completely related your arrow sitting horizontal on the rest and the angle of your line of sight thru your sting and to your pin(s). So...how far away from your arrow your pin sight is and the distance between your eye and your arrow nock at full draw come into play. Your arrow starts below your line of sight and has to take some distance to make it up to that line of sight on its intial upward portion of flight.

The idea of using a different pin for ultra close shots is just an extension of the fact that no matter how fast your arrow is, it is still flying in an arc and truly only dead on at exact distance between zero and your pin's designated distance namesake.
Same Here!!

Dan
Old 07-26-2008, 05:57 PM
Dominant Buck

LOL.....this is hilarious, guys.

Imagine arguing 2+2 DOESN'T = 4

BTW.....if you're joining thi thread late.....and don't have ANY idea of the premise behind it.....this is the thread that spawned it.

http://huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2921969
Old 07-26-2008, 06:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

GMMAT i dont understand this "geometry" lesson. could you please explain it to me?
Old 07-26-2008, 06:10 PM
Dominant Buck

Go take a tape measure and measure the distance between your 20yd pin and the cente rline of your arrow sitting on the rest.

Now stand at 2 yds and put your 20 yd pin on your intended "spot". Wher's your arrow gonna hit?

This isn't some "phenomenon" I dreamt up. This is fairly common knowledge.....or so I thought it was. Even if it isn't common knowledge.....it's easily explained, geometrically.
Now....the distance between your arrow and your 20 yd pin may vary, some, from bow to bow......but not enough to allow you to put a pin sighted in at 20 yds on a 2yd target and hit it.

Your arrow .......your sight line (either through a peep or not) down your 20 yd pin ......form 2 lines that come together at 20yds. They are not on the same plane....and the arrow is below the pin sight line. So....the arrow is coming slightly up to meet the line (although it's arcing above the line and coming back down).

At 2yds......it doesn't have enough "room" or "time" to make up the difference. If you aim at your spot with your 20 yd pin (that is sighted in for 20yds).....you will hit low. Period (barring user error).
Old 07-26-2008, 06:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

Guys, it's the same as shooting a rifle with amill dotscope. Sight in that rife and scope to hit center bulls eye at 100 yards and then take at shot at 2 yards from the muzzle and use the center of the crosshair. The bullet will impact low on the target the same distance your crosshair is from the center line of the bore.

Now do the same thing but use the bottom mill dotand you should impact very close to dead center at 2 yards because your rifle will be pointing higher in the air in relation to the target.
Old 07-26-2008, 07:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I thought it would be bigger but hopefully you get the idea
Old 07-26-2008, 07:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Quick Reply: Did the tight angle, short shot test today at 2 yards

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.