Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Did the tight angle, short shot test today at 2 yards

Old 07-26-2008, 03:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Did the tight angle, short shot test today at 2 yards

Hitting "Good" is relative. When I mention hitting a spot....I'm talking about a spot the diameter of your arrow. That's what I'm aiming at. "Inside a 3" circle" is a fairly generous "spot".)

Whatever! This is not tournament shooting that is being discussed here. I would like to know how many guys here hit inside a spot "the diameter of your arrow" on a consistent basis? If you can hit a 3" circle consistently at 30 yds, you can hunt and be successful every day of the week. Being able to do it at these angles is all part of it, but if you are consistent at these angles using "your" method, then I would say go hunting and don't worry about what others say.

LT
Old 07-26-2008, 03:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

"But if your magin for error is outside the discrepancy in choosing the right v. wrong pin......this exercise won't do you much good."

The weird thing is we are both "right". I was "right" that I wasn't imagining what was happening to my arrows at those angles relative to my expectations. You were "right" about the shots being taken when thought about in terms of purely "ideal shooting" or dead on shooting. I understand and I take alot from these posts. I am always in a mood to learn and grow. No hard feelings, thanks for the input and dialogue.

Brett
Old 07-26-2008, 03:18 PM
Dominant Buck

Brett:

Just understand that this has NOTHING to do with the shooter. If you shot arrows out of a hooter shooter....they'd react just as I explained. The size of the "target" is so precise.....because we're shooting from 2 yds. From 2 yds....we ought to be pretty precise.

Hope you have a great weekend.
Old 07-26-2008, 03:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: LouisianaTomkat

Hitting "Good" is relative. When I mention hitting a spot....I'm talking about a spot the diameter of your arrow. That's what I'm aiming at. "Inside a 3" circle" is a fairly generous "spot".)

Whatever! This is not tournament shooting that is being discussed here. I would like to know how many guys here hit inside a spot "the diameter of your arrow" on a consistent basis? If you can hit a 3" circle consistently at 30 yds, you can hunt and be successful every day of the week. Being able to do it at these angles is all part of it, but if you are consistent at these angles using "your" method, then I would say go hunting and don't worry about what others say.

LT
I may not always hit the "spot" I am aiming for but if I say I am 3 inches hit. I am 3 inches North of a spot that is the size of an arrow. If you are good with a 2 to 3 inch group, then you are 3 inches high on that? How high are you? I am not trying to be smart, but when figureing out what pin to use, this is a problem.
Old 07-26-2008, 03:41 PM

ORIGINAL: virginiashadow

Not really sure why I am able to hit good using the method I do, because it seems everyone else uses their 40 yard pin on such tight shots?
I don't. That has never proven to be right (or should I say necessary) for me either. BTW...it is all about form and horizontal distance so having the right form up in the tree will give you the same result (arrow impact) as standing on the horizontal.

I was "reminded" in another thread that in the next to the tree type shots I would have to think about what pin I would use, so I got out my turkey blind bow and took a couple shots at 8 feet and 18 yards. Arrows touched and both in the 2 inch dot. Probably means I missed a little with one or both shots cause I can't shoot that good. But I am ok with that, cause shooting dots don't mean squat to me...

Differences in results with different set ups in this scenario are completely related your arrow sitting horizontal on the rest and the angle of your line of sight thru your sting and to your pin(s). So...how far away from your arrow your pin sight is and the distance between your eye and your arrow nock at full draw come into play. Your arrow starts below your line of sight and has to take some distance to make it up to that line of sight on its intial upward portion of flight.

The idea of using a different pin for ultra close shots is just an extension of the fact that no matter how fast your arrow is, it is still flying in an arc and truly only dead on at exact distance between zero and your pin's designated distance namesake.
Old 07-26-2008, 03:54 PM
Dominant Buck

Guys.....let's get one thing straight.....lol

This isn't really up for debate. It's not a matter of it being "true" or not. It IS true.

How you get differing results baffles me. You're either compensating, somehow.....or your margin for error is outside the discrepancy in not shoosing the correct pin.

Either way......you're muddying the waters with your individual methods. Like I said.....shot from a hooter shooter....the shot would come off as I described, yesterday. It's simple geometry. It HAS to be that way.
Old 07-26-2008, 04:52 PM

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Guys.....let's get one thing straight.....lol

This isn't really up for debate. It's not a matter of it being "true" or not. It IS true.

How you get differing results baffles me. You're either compensating, somehow.....or your margin for error is outside the discrepancy in not shoosing the correct pin.

Either way......you're muddying the waters with your individual methods. Like I said.....shot from a hooter shooter....the shot would come off as I described, yesterday. It's simple geometry. It HAS to be that way.
Seriously? And you are who to say this...?

Old 07-26-2008, 04:58 PM
Dominant Buck

Seriously? And you are who to say this...?
Wash......

Are you serious? Do you know what we're discussing?

Go take a tape measure and measure the distance between your 20yd pin and the cente rline of your arrow sitting on the rest.

Now stand at 2 yds and put your 20 yd pin on your intended "spot". Wher's your arrow gonna hit?

This isn't some "phenomenon" I dreamt up. This is fairly common knowledge.....or so I thought it was. Even if it isn't common knowledge.....it's easily explained, geometrically.

Are you serious?

**Edit** - I just went out and shot these four arrows from 2 yds. I was aiming for the center of the black.....utilizing my 20yd pin.

Old 07-26-2008, 05:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hmmm, does not look quite like you were aiming at a spot the diameter of an arrow. (or else you would have had 3 robinhoods. pffft)
Old 07-26-2008, 05:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: LouisianaTomkat

Hmmm, does not look quite like you were aiming at a spot the diameter of an arrow. (or else you would have had 3 robinhoods. pffft)
True Robinhoods have to be in the Bullseye

Quick Reply: Did the tight angle, short shot test today at 2 yards

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.