Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How far will you take a shot?

Old 07-26-2008, 11:34 AM

Default RE: How far will you take a shot?

I've been shooting a bow for 25 years and 25 yards is my MAX. I practice out to 60+ yards, But you have to remember that even in a perfect situation, No wind, nothing, An arrow traveling at say 275 FPS is not fast and will take a long time to reach an animal at 60 yards. They can move a long way at that range.

I don't like to talk down to anyone here, but I do have to say that the comment about if 130+ farther is what brings a bad name to our sport. It should never be about the size of the horns. If anything, you should have more respect for a more mature animal... Sorry, but I just had to say it.
Old 07-26-2008, 11:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

ya i would bet my brother could it one with no contacts at 50 yards and he has never shot a bow
ORIGINAL: early in

Forget that "pie plate" concept. Anyone can hit a pie plate at a reasonable distance. You need to aim at a much smaller "spot" to achieve best results in accuracy. Aim small, miss small. It makes you "focus" better!Oh yea, I won't shoot past 30yrds.
Old 07-26-2008, 11:58 AM
Fork Horn

i have killedone at 80 yrds. but this year nothing ov 50 yards.
Old 07-26-2008, 12:09 PM
Typical Buck

When I'm hunting pie plates, I'll shoot out to 70 yards. Never had to track one more than a few inches, but they taste like *%(&^*@!

An arrow traveling at say 275 FPS is not fast and will take a long time to reach an animal at 60 yards. They can move a long way at that range.

I don't like to talk down to anyone here, but I do have to say that the comment about if 130+ farther is what brings a bad name to our sport. It should never be about the size of the horns. If anything, you should have more respect for a more mature animal... Sorry, but I just had to say it.
I agree with the above statements wholeheartedly; also don't forget that stated arrow speeds are initial velocity and they start to slow down as soon as they are launched. That 275 fps given above, with deceleration, will take something like 3/4 of a second to go the 60 yards. One step in that time results in a very poor shot and it baffles me that so many people don't seem to consider that variable when shooting game.

The farthest I've shot a deer at is 32 yards and the closest is 11 and all my hunting is done on the ground. Great fun getting close under those circumstances.
Old 07-26-2008, 12:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

my pins are set for 20 30 40
i thought about buying a five pin sight. The thing is i am not sure i would want to shoot a deer out much farther then 40 maybe 50 but not 70.
ORIGINAL: Canuck_2

When I'm hunting pie plates, I'll shoot out to 70 yards. Never had to track one more than a few inches, but they taste like *%(&^*@!

An arrow traveling at say 275 FPS is not fast and will take a long time to reach an animal at 60 yards. They can move a long way at that range.

I agree with the above statements wholeheartedly; also don't forget that stated arrow speeds are initial velocity and they start to slow down as soon as they are launched. That 275 fps given above, with deceleration, will take something like 3/4 of a second to go the 60 yards. One step in that time results in a very poor shot and it baffles me that so many people don't seem to consider that variable when shooting game.

The farthest I've shot a deer at is 32 yards and the closest is 11 and all my hunting is done on the ground. Great fun getting close under those circumstances.
Old 07-26-2008, 12:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Centaur 1

ORIGINAL: early in

Forget that "pie plate" concept. Anyone can hit a pie plate at a reasonable distance. You need to aim at a much smaller "spot" to achieve best results in accuracy. Aim small, miss small. It makes you "focus" better!Oh yea, I won't shoot past 30yrds.
I use white wooden golf tees pushed straight in to the target. They're small, cheap, easy to see, won't harm the arrow and it's satisfying when you hit and shatter one.
That's a great idea Michael. I just might give that a try.
Old 07-26-2008, 12:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

It blows me away to see all the claims of killing animals at these long range yardages

Old 07-26-2008, 12:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bigtim6656

my pins are set for 20 30 40
i thought about buying a five pin sight. The thing is i am not sure i would want to shoot a deer out much farther then 40 maybe 50 but not 70.
ORIGINAL: Canuck_2

Tim If I remember right you have yet to get one with your bow. If I was you I'd keep them some what closer then what you just described. Trust me, you can get a deer to come in under 20 yards, have some patience and it will happen. Good luck!
Old 07-26-2008, 12:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

It blows me away to see all the claims of killing animals at these long range yardages
No one is going to admit to wounding animals at long range yardages. It seems we always here the successful story's but never the bad story's.
Old 07-26-2008, 01:28 PM
Dominant Buck

I wouldn't hit a golf shot with a forced carry of 280yds.

But I'm not going to criticize the guy who CAN make that shot. Kudos to him.

My effective range has gotten shorter. 20......25max.

Quick Reply: How far will you take a shot?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.