Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How far will you take a shot?

Old 07-26-2008, 09:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How far will you take a shot?

This is the bowhunting forum. If you want to shoot those yardages go to the gun forum.

The animals deserve more respect than that!!!! If you can't kill with one shot don't take it!
Old 07-26-2008, 09:08 AM
Typical Buck

A calm 60 yds !!!! If he's scorin' over 130" Oh ya,,,,and mature.....
Old 07-26-2008, 09:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Muliefever

You know this is what makes me hate technology. The reason I do not rifle hunt very much anymore is because I chose to "close the distance" In my opinion if you want to shoot an animal at 100 yds. plus, then you need to pick up a firearm! There is no animal in this world that I want to RISK making a unethical shot on. The farther you are away from the animal the more your arrow will react to error. It's just not worth it. I Have taken 6 elk with bow and arrow, and countless Mule deer, and Blacktail with my bow. I have never shot past 40 yds. only one elk was further then 30 yds. If you want to shoot long range, keep it in the 3D range!
My .02
Ya know you don't HAVE to shoot that far with a gun. Hunt the same way you bow hunt, get close, it what I do!
Old 07-26-2008, 09:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: niehenke

In the spring, I took a turkey. I took 5 shots at a gobbler in the spring (38, 41, 51, 56, 20). Each shot connecting, but not a vital until the last one at 20. The first did damage but not enough.
Do you know where the vitals are on a turkey? I'm not one to preach but taking this many shots on a turkey at these ranges is really pushing it even for the best shooters out there.
Old 07-26-2008, 09:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

40 yds for me. But I like to have them inside 30
Old 07-26-2008, 10:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

30 yards and in for me.
Old 07-26-2008, 10:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

My personal comfort zone is inside 25 yards.

What I don't understand is the guys bragging about taking 60 yard shots. I started bow hunting to get close.I get no pleasure in shooting a deer at 60 yards. If that's what I wanted, I would just start gun hunting. I enjoy seeing just how close I can get them. My personal closest shot is at 8 yards, and I am much more proud of that accomplishment than shooting on at 60.
Old 07-26-2008, 10:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: early in

Forget that "pie plate" concept. Anyone can hit a pie plate at a reasonable distance. You need to aim at a much smaller "spot" to achieve best results in accuracy. Aim small, miss small. It makes you "focus" better!Oh yea, I won't shoot past 30yrds.
I use white wooden golf tees pushed straight in to the target. They're small, cheap, easy to see, won't harm the arrow and it's satisfying when you hit and shatter one.
Old 07-26-2008, 11:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

I do hunt with a recurve so my yardage is shorter then most compound shooters. If I can't consistently hit with in 2" of my mark at 20 yards I'm not happy with my shooting and most likely won't take that 20 yard shot.
That's some very good shooting!

Most of the time, 20-25 yards is my limit.
Old 07-26-2008, 11:03 AM

The greatest distance I've taken a deer was 30 yards with a PSE Firestorm Lite and a 75 grain muzzy. I shoot about 305 fps and practice shooting at a dime at 20 yards taped to a 3D. It's all about getting close. Most of my shots are from 10 feet to 20 yards. I'd never consider taking a long shot for fear of just wounding the deer, I wouldn't think that being much of a sportsman.
Jim

Quick Reply: How far will you take a shot?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.