Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Does being a great 3-d shooter make you??

Old 07-25-2008, 01:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Does being a great 3-d shooter make you??

ORIGINAL: Matt / PA

Like I said.......if everything else is equal as far as HUNTING ability goes. The better shooter has the advantage 100% of the time. He can and will do things more consistently when the time comes to release that arrow.
That's not something that can really be debated.
The person who is the best they can be at ALL aspects of the sport is the winner.

Take mevs me as an example........I'm the same guy ,LOL, so obviously my opportunities and skill set in the woods will be the same.
But now put me against LEFT-handed me.
I've never shot a bow lefthanded so I'd probably suck at it.

All else equal I'm going to be a much better shot right handed so right handed me has a much bigger advantage as a hunter because I am a much better shooter than left handed me.

Matt, that is one of the funniest analogies I've ever heard, but it may be one of the best too. I canuse thatsame analogy to prove my point as well. Take me 10 years ago living in FL, shooting A LOT of 3d but not much opportunity to hunt vs. me today where I shoot recreational 3d, but focus on hunting. I was probably the same shot then as I am now maybe a little better, definitely better then at yardage estimation. However, over the last 10 years, and 5 especially my knowledge of hunting and deer has grown exponentially. I today would outhunt the me of 10 years ago any day of the week and twice on Sundays (if we could hunt then).

Jeff, the guys you spoke of are most definitely good 3d shooters AND good hunters, but they are also guys that spend as much time on this BOWHUNTINGforum as you and I. Many of the guys I'm talking about are over on AT, talking spots and 3d courses andtarget set ups andnot spending much time on the hunting forums. They do 90% of their shooting with a lensed scope sight, a 30"+ stabilizer, and 300 grain arrows. They don't spend a lot of time scouting because they are typically too busy travelling to shoots. As a result their hunting suffers. That's not to say they couldn't be good hunters, but their priorities are elsewhere. I'll tell you, some of these boys could shoot the wings off a fly sitting on the edge of the 12 ring at 47.35 yards. Unfortunately for them, deer usually don't sit around while you let down 3 times to adjust your sight and get the guy holding your umbrella to change positions.
Old 07-25-2008, 02:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Being a good shot, definately DOESN'T hurt.

However, right now, I'm pretty wrapped up into shooting a lot of 3D. I've worked harder trying to get better in tournament archery than I have in anything else. I have changed SOO much since I shot my first outdoor 3d tournament with Aaron and Jeff this past January. I would be hard pressed to believe that anyone on this sight shoots more than I do. I shoot 7days a week. I shoot 3D targets 7 days a week. I'm at the shop EVERY night until ATLEAST 10-11pm just shooting. I spend atleast 3-4days a week judging yardage. I'm getting ready to go see a coach for the first time, and that's not cheap, but he'll be there for as long as I want him. Once again, I know it doesn't hurt. If you would have told me 8 months ago, I would have won out of an ASA class and just be as fortunate as I have been so far, I would have told you were lying. I'm extremely thankful to shoot as welll as what I have but it didn't just come to me. I've worked for a lot of it, but then again, I guess I had some "talent" before I started.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE to bowhunt. I've bowhunted longer than I have shot 3D.This year, I'm definately putting more into the hunting aspect. I've always been strict on scent control, and I'll be even moreso this year. I'm going to hunt harder and hopefull I'll get an opportunity. I'm expecting that it's just going to take a taste of "success" in bowhunting to really get me going.

I think being a great 3D shooter HELPS a great hunter, but doesn't MAKE a great hunter.
Old 07-25-2008, 02:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Jeff, the guys you spoke of are most definitely good 3d shooters AND good hunters, but they are also guys that spend as much time on this BOWHUNTING forum as you and I. Many of the guys I'm talking about are over on AT, talking spots and 3d courses and target set ups and not spending much time on the hunting forums. They do 90% of their shooting with a lensed scope sight, a 30"+ stabilizer, and 300 grain arrows. They don't spend a lot of time scouting because they are typically too busy traveling to shoots. As a result their hunting suffers. That's not to say they couldn't be good hunters, but their priorities are elsewhere. I'll tell you, some of these boys could shoot the wings off a fly sitting on the edge of the 12 ring at 47.35 yards. Unfortunately for them, deer usually don't sit around while you let down 3 times to adjust your sight and get the guy holding your umbrella to change positions.
The world is full of guys like this.

No disrespect to you Matt/PA as I can tell it hit a nerve with you. There are many guys just like yourself on here and else where who are excellent at both but the majority of the guys that I shot league with were not. I'd say 30% of the top shooters in the league I shot in were decent bow hunters, the other 70% didn't have a clue. Its not a bad thing either, some have there priorities on hunting and some on targets and some both.
Old 07-25-2008, 02:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Matt,
I know what your saying about all being equall, but totally different when the deer is alive and walking torwards you closing the distance and your heart is racing a mile a minute. Now do I want the guy who shot lots of deer and is experienced or do I want the guy who shoots alot of foam but is equally a good shot out of the woods? I want the guy that has the experience when it comes to the moment of truth! Oh yea Matt thanks for calling today to shoot![:@]LOL
Old 07-25-2008, 02:40 PM
Typical Buck

If you got it ,you got it!!! 3-d shoots and spots can only make a person a better shot while hunting.. not a good hunter.... Pick a spot, whack!!!!
Old 07-25-2008, 02:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: RuttNutt

If you got it ,you got it!!! 3-d shoots and spots can only make a person a better shot while hunting.. not a good hunter.... Pick a spot, whack!!!!
But picking a spot on foam is different than on a live deer!
Old 07-25-2008, 02:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Being a great archery shot has it's advantages, but if you can't keep your chit together, and make the right moves at the righttimeswhen it comes down to crunch time, all that "archery" prowess isn't worthsquat.
I'm a pretty good shot with my bow (no 3-D champ), better than average I would say, but my knowledge of my quarry and the woods I hunt is better yet. I like the combination of these two as opposed to excelling in one or the other.JMHO
Old 07-25-2008, 03:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

While there are plenty of people that are really good at both, being a good target shooter doesn't make one a better hunter. They are definitely two completely seperate things.

With that said, I do think that being successful at shooting in a high pressure target oriented situation will without a doubt make you a better shot under high pressure hunting situations. There will of course be exceptions to that rule, but don't fool yourself into thinking that most target shooters won't or can't perform in the field. The cases cited above are truly the minority.

On the other hand, being good at target shooting doesn't do anything though for getting you into a shooting situation on game. That's gospel. [8D]
Old 07-25-2008, 08:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Rick James

While there are plenty of people that are really good at both, being a good target shooter doesn't make one a better hunter. They are definitely two completely seperate things.

With that said, I do think that being successful at shooting in a high pressure target oriented situation will without a doubt make you a better shot under high pressure hunting situations. There will of course be exceptions to that rule, but don't fool yourself into thinking that most target shooters won't or can't perform in the field. The cases cited above are truly the minority.

On the other hand, being good at target shooting doesn't do anything though for getting you into a shooting situation on game. That's gospel. [8D]
Well said. That's exactly what I was trying to convey. You just did a better job of it.
Old 07-25-2008, 09:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Some guys are great at flag football, but once they put on the pads, they stink. On the other hand, some guys are great at flag football and tackle........so just never know.

Quick Reply: Does being a great 3-d shooter make you??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.