Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

"IF" you were going to take these shots

Old 07-25-2008, 09:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: "IF" you were going to take these shots

ORIGINAL: huntingson

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

Are you in a elevated stand in both scenarios?
I second that question. If I were on the ground I would absolutely love a 2 yard shot... LOVE IT!!! From a stand I would take a 2 yard shot depending on what stand I was in. If I was in a 15' ladder stand I would take it. 24' up, no I wouldn't.
Thanks for posting that Jim. We both got our answer.

Jeff I see you said you would deffinetly be taking that shot with your longbow. Thats a tough shot, specially for someone who hasn't hunted with Trad equipment. If I was you I'd be waiting on a different and better oppertunity 1st before something bad goes on. Get broke in before you start taking tough shots. No need to start off on the wrong foot.

Old 07-25-2008, 09:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

Va shadow
2 yds to 6-10 yds which were your actual shots is a MILE of difference, and changes EVERYTHING. Can't compare for most people.

Shultzy, Jeff is a little sneaky with his longbow shot choice comment, as I believe he is only hunting from the ground with it. Caught me off guard too, until I remembered that tidbit.

Old 07-25-2008, 09:59 AM
Dominant Buck

Rybo. Not "sneaky"......just figured No. 1 would be construed as being off the ground.....since there was no mention of elevation.
Old 07-25-2008, 10:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

2 yds to 6-10 yds which were your actual shots is a MILE of difference, and changes EVERYTHING. Can't compare for most people.
So you aim high on shots at 2-3 yards, then everything changes when it gets out to 6-10...then where do you aim?
Old 07-25-2008, 10:03 AM
Dominant Buck

So you aim high on shots at 2-3 yards, then everything changes when it gets out to 6-10...then where do you aim?
VA....You'd have to practice them to know.

I KNEW on my 3D setup.....that I needed to shoot my 50 yd pin to hit where I was aiming at 2yds. Like I said....it muddies beyond that.

Your arrow is below your sight pins (__________) much. It doesn't have time to "rise" (or give the appearance of such) at 2 yds.

Same thing for the straight down shot.
Old 07-25-2008, 10:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

Va shadow

Shultzy, Jeff is a little sneaky with his longbow shot choice comment, as I believe he is only hunting from the ground with it. Caught me off guard too, until I remembered that tidbit.

I thought I read he said 15' up. Whatever I guess, if it was from the ground I'd be slinging arrows too.
Old 07-25-2008, 10:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

VA....You'd have to practice them to know.
I do practice all my shots from close up all the way out to 30 yards with my current bow. I aim 3-4 inches low at 5 yards, aim 1-2 at 10, dead on at 20 with my 20. Weird. It seems like I am in the lone minority when it comes to this....I must not be grasping something that most bow shooters know.
Old 07-25-2008, 10:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

As I stated before for my old bow, in tight out to about 4 yds, I had to aim high. around 5-6 yds I was dead on, then as I got out to 10 I needed to aim low, but as I get closer and closer to 17-18 yds, aiming low not as much, dead on at my 17.18 yds mark.

You arrow starts out anywhere from 3-5" below your pins depending on anchor, size of your face, & bow setup. When your arrow comes off the rest it is aimed slightly upwards to reach your line of sight. So for VERY close shots, your arrow is still rising,(hence aiming high) then it crosses line of sight(dead on) continues to rise(how much depends on speed etc) then starts dropping until its dead on again(20 yds for most people). And then continues to fall as it flies on out 30,40 50 etc.
Old 07-25-2008, 10:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

"You arrow starts out anywhere from 3-5" below your pins depending on anchor, size of your face, & bow setup. When your arrow comes off the rest it is aimed slightly upwards to reach your line of sight. So for VERY close shots, your arrow is still rising,(hence aiming high) then it crosses line of sight(dead on) continues to rise(how much depends on speed etc) then starts dropping until its dead on again(20 yds for most people)."

This is why I think that things are different for me. Like I said previously, I have always set up my own bows, basically by trial and error. I think I have a set-up problem that is making things a little different for me. I am going to go out and look at my bow and see if things appear this way on my bow. I probably have a bad set-up.
Old 07-25-2008, 10:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

This is kind of interesting to me because since 1992 I have had to qualify to hunt the military bases in my area. Every year without fail there is a target direcly under the platform or within 3 yards. I have never ever compensated foritat all. I draw my bow at horizontal like I am shooting downrange on a normal shotthen pivot the T (my shoulders/spine) down and sometimes flex or bend my frontknee a little(almost like I am shooting straight down past my left foot)to get on target with my top pin. It is a 3 target qualifier with 2 shots per target (if needed) and in 15 years I have shot 45 shots meaning I have killed that deer every time.

That's not to say I hit the exact arrow hole I aimed at but I can never remember being evenclose to off target. I qualify again this year on August 7th, I'll pay a little more attention to the exact details on my POI compared to POA.

Realistically at those ranges in real lifeI might not even use a pin. I practice often with no pins out to 20 yards and no release too, just in case I had something break or if I lost or forgot my release. With my recurve from a stand I'm not taking either shotunless it was a follow-up.

Quick Reply: "IF" you were going to take these shots

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.