Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

"IF" you were going to take these shots

Old 07-25-2008, 09:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: "IF" you were going to take these shots

Predator, yes. I killed a nice buck this year at about 6-7 yards using that aiming point. Hit right on the mark, he went off 35 yards and died. I used the same thing on a doe I killed two years ago at 10 yards, just aimed a little low, it hit right on the mark, she ran 25 yards and died.

I MUST be doing something wrong.
Old 07-25-2008, 09:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

Are you in a elevated stand in both scenarios?
Old 07-25-2008, 09:36 AM
Dominant Buck

I was too, Predator, SORRY!
Old 07-25-2008, 09:37 AM
Dominant Buck

If it has nothing to do with my set-up, then why have my results been good using the aiming points I have described?
I'd "guess" margin for error.

When I say a spot....I mean a TINY SPOT. Think center 12 ring on a 3D animal.

I killed a nice buck this year at about 6-7 yards using that aiming point. Hit right on the mark, he went off 35 yards and died. I used the same thing on a doe I killed two years ago at 10 yards, just aimed a little low, it hit right on the mark, she ran 25 yards and died.
Brett:

When you get to those yardages.....it muddies.
Old 07-25-2008, 09:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: virginiashadow

Predator, yes. I killed a nice buck this year at about 6-7 yards using that aiming point. Hit right on the mark, he went off 35 yards and died. I used the same thing on a doe I killed two years ago at 10 yards, just aimed a little low, it hit right on the mark, she ran 25 yards and died.

10yds is A LOT different than 2yds.
Old 07-25-2008, 09:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

Shot # 2 would result in you pinning your foot to your tree stand with a well placed broad head. []Penetration would depend on if you were shooting a mechanical broad head.[:-]
Old 07-25-2008, 09:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

Are you in a elevated stand in both scenarios?
I second that question. If I were on the ground I would absolutely love a 2 yard shot... LOVE IT!!! From a stand I would take a 2 yard shot depending on what stand I was in. If I was in a 15' ladder stand I would take it. 24' up, no I wouldn't.
Old 07-25-2008, 09:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

I also shot and killed another buck this year, a 6 pointer at 5 yards. I used the same aiming point. The shot hit true, he ran 20 yards, laid down and died.

As you can see, I have made alot of bow shots at short distances just in the last few years. That is why I am trying to figure this whole thing out. I really must not perceive this shot the same way that most people do. "if it ain't broke, why fix it?"
Old 07-25-2008, 09:43 AM
Dominant Buck

For the exercise.....we'll call it a 15' stand. But as long as you're above the deer (any distance above 5').....it's a straight down shot.

Nothing ethics, here......"IF" you were gonna take the shot.

I second that question. If I were on the ground I would absolutely love a 2 yard shot... LOVE IT!!! From a stand I would take a 2 yard shot depending on what stand I was in. If I was in a 15' ladder stand I would take it. 24' up, no I wouldn't.
So....which pin(s) do you use?
Old 07-25-2008, 09:45 AM

ORIGINAL: virginiashadow

You arent doing anything wrong if you are killing deer. I think the whole point is that everybody needs to know what there arrow will do at any given distance. Some setups may be different. If i have a 2 yard shot out of a blind at a nice buck, I may just grab hold of my arrow and use it as a javelin.

Quick Reply: "IF" you were going to take these shots

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.