Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

"IF" you were going to take these shots

Old 07-25-2008, 09:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: "IF" you were going to take these shots

The one thing I think I can take from this post is that maybe for all of these years, of me working on my own bows, "aligning" everything that for some reason my bow set-up is horrible. That really may be an issue for me as I never had anyone to teach me these things. One thing is for sure, most of the time, whatever I shoot at, gets killed. I am glad you posted this GMMAT, as I am taking my bow in to get restrung and tuned up by a pro in the next couple of weeks. And no hard feelings, I appreciate your honesty.

Brett
Old 07-25-2008, 09:26 AM

For shot #1, I woulduse my 50 yard pin. Shot #2 has me a bit confused. If the deer is directly beneath you AND broadside, he is probably laying down on his side. I would wait til he get up from his bed and moves out a few yards. Kidding aside, I don't take shot #2.
Old 07-25-2008, 09:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

First, that's a no shot situation...You don't have a good angle for the vitals...

Now, with a scoped rifle, the cross hairs are about 1 1/2 inches above the line of bore, so at that range the bullet will hit 1 1/2 inches below the cross hairs at such a range...

A bow is the same way...Your 20 yard pin could be 3 inches above the center line of the rest, so you
will hit low using the 20 yard pin...

At point blank range, use your lowest pin or the one closest to the rest...
Old 07-25-2008, 09:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

IF I were to take those (both are too close for my real life liking)

Shot #1 I don’t know which pin it is, I know as a “top pin holdover” scheme. Its about 4-5” at 2 yds(or at least it was for my old bow, I haven’t determined my new bow’s situation)

Shot #2 I’d probably skip the pins altogether and sight down the shaft of my arrow.

At an extremely close range, I cannot see how the physics of the situation would allow for aiming low.
Old 07-25-2008, 09:31 AM
Dominant Buck

The one thing I think I can take from this post is that maybe for all of these years, of me working on my own bows, "aligning" everything that for some reason my bow set-up is horrible.
It's got nothing to do with your setup, Brett.

Predator.....In "broadside" for No. 1....I mean he is standing Left-to-right.....not North-to-South.

nc....I agree on the no shot situations.....But I DID say "IF" you were gonna take the shots. That being said.....you are spot-on with the rest of your post.
Old 07-25-2008, 09:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

I wouldn't take either one whether it be compound or recurve.
Old 07-25-2008, 09:32 AM

ORIGINAL: virginiashadow

The logic may be flawed, but my results speak for themselves. I aim just like I described in my post above and the results have been well placed shots with dead deer.
So you have killed deer at 2 yards aiming low with your top pin?
Old 07-25-2008, 09:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's got nothing to do with your setup, Brett.
If it has nothing to do with my set-up, then why have my results been good using the aiming points I have described?

Is it my eyes? I do not use a peep sight. I am not sure.
Old 07-25-2008, 09:34 AM
Dominant Buck

The premise for this is compound bow shots.

Although I'd take neither with my compound (ethics).....I'd take the first one in a HEARTBEAT with my longbow.
Old 07-25-2008, 09:34 AM

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Predator.....In "broadside" for No. 1....I mean he is standing Left-to-right.....not North-to-South.
I was talking about #2.

Quick Reply: "IF" you were going to take these shots

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.