Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

"IF" you were going to take these shots

Old 07-25-2008, 09:48 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: "IF" you were going to take these shots

I know I'm a dumbass,I'm still trying to figure out how a deer can be broadside to me if it is directly under me. Oh and just to throw another monkey in the wrench,what if you hunt with a pendulam like I do,and yes I know the answer.
Old 07-25-2008, 11:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's my 40 yard pin.

I'll never forget the first time I learned that. It was a 3 yard turkey in my first 3D shoot... I held the 20 pin an inch low and shot 3 inches high. I was dumb founded.

I've won several $5 bills telling people about this approach.
Old 07-25-2008, 11:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Shooting elevated shots at 2 yards is different than shooting flat shots at 2 yards.On the elevated shot,the arrow travels further giving line of sight or sight paralax time to come back to amore normal sighting situation.Therefore,if you need to use a 50 yard pin at 2 yards on the ground,from 20 feet up,you may only need to use the 30 yard pin.Once sight paralax has been eliminated to some degree,the difference between 20 and 30 is so small at 2 yards that either should be able to be used.

I have never practiced this shot from an elevated position because it is one I will not take.

BUT,in reality,I let them get out to 6-7 before I even think about the shot and ,hold dead center with my 20 and go collect my deer 20 minutes later after I havewatched them fall.The arrow will hit a little high at this point and that is exactly what I want.
Old 07-26-2008, 07:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Pendulum sight! I put the pin on them and shoot. Taken both shots multiple times with very good success!
Old 07-26-2008, 07:49 AM
Typical Buck

[quote]ORIGINAL: TeeJay

Pendulum sight! I put the pin on them and shoot. Taken both shots multiple times with very good success!
[/ quote]Better watch out the ethics police will be all over you for making those shots,no matter if you were successfull,they would just say you were lucky.
Old 07-26-2008, 08:19 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: virginiashadow

jbowersox--I aim low and I hit where I want---call it a phenomenon, call it what you want...I am telling you when I aim low with my bow at close up shots, I hit where I want.....

I am gonna bust out my bow tomorrow and fire some shots again from elevation and really focus on this post...I will let you know what is up tomorrow afternoon.
Virginiashadow, I am curious to see how your shooting turns out but my quote was in regards to twildasin comment. All I'm saying is that it isn't remotely possible to aim at the white belly of a deer with my 20 pin and even come close to hitting it, atleast with my setup it isn't.

With that said, I guess one way it might be possible to hit 2-3 yard target with one's 20 pin is to have a high peep and low bow sight, therefore a low 20 pin. Get what I'm saying...if the peep is high in relation to the sight at full draw, the sight plane will be aiming low in relation to where the arrow would hit, therefore making it possible to hit a 2-3 yard target with a 20 pin. This could work but I wonder how it would work as the distances increased.