Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Why does everyone buy a new bow every year?

Old 07-25-2008, 12:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Why does everyone buy a new bow every year?

I have been slaying deer with my '05 Hoyt Viper, but read about people on here selling '07's to buy an '08. I dont get it. Is the general concensus that you want a newer bow because it wil make you shoot better or faster, or was it you had bad success with your prior bow.

Besides shooting 3D or in tournaments, and looking for extra speed, or a morepimped out bow, what was wrong with the bow you may have had last year, or the year before, ect.

Im perfectly content with my '05 Hoyt, and wouldnt trade it for the world (unless I had an extra $1500 to spend on a new set-up)

Do the people here that are always getting the newest thing out expect them to be a better hunting bow, or for the speed and accuracy in indoor shooting tournaments?

i think you answered your own question there

i honestly dont see the point in it even then, but hey im just a kid so what do i know
Old 07-25-2008, 12:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm gonna buy another new one next year. Why...cause i want to [8D]
Old 07-25-2008, 12:49 PM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: GregH

I'm still shooting a '97 model. I like it.

BTW, I could buy a new bow every month if I wanted to.
To be fair, I used to get one or two new bows per year back in the mid-'90s. I was a staff shooter for a major bow company back then and bows were making progress by leaps and bounds. Then there became kind of a lull where the mfg.'s were hell bent on sacrificing smoothness and reliability for speed. I'm glad I kept two of my favorite boes for hunting. I just haven't found anything that I like better than what I presently have.
Old 07-25-2008, 12:49 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

A Timex keeps time as well as a Rolex. Yet....the man wearing the Rolex has a pride of ownership that ONLY HE needs to justify with himself and HIS financial situation.

It's always amazed me that anyone else CARES
Are you implying my Hoyt is a Timex and yours is a Rolex? Accesories are simple to buy. I can get a $200 sight, top of the line rest, best strings, and a good tuning job and still split your arrows in half. I understand that some of us have the cash to spend, but I also read of guys not getting their wives a bow, or a diamond, or their kid a bow. I believe that, as I said in my post...even if I did have the extra $1500 I would. Only if I could justify purchasing a new bow that does things that my bow doesnt.

If it shoots good grouping, fits your hand, kills deer, etc., I would only be buying a new bow to make my hunting better, easier, and faster fps. Mine does what it needs to...knock on wood!

I do envy those who just "can", but if that was my reasoning I would spend the money fo a trophy hunt using the bow that I know.

As I have said in all of my posts, I signed the waiver of its JMHO. No offense to others, just trying to make sense of someone claiming they have two or three or four bows. These people obviously have sponsors, or work for an archery dealer, or have friends to give them the wholesale cost.
Old 07-25-2008, 12:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm still shooting a '97 model. I like it.

BTW, I could buy a new bow every month if I wanted to.
To be fair, I used to get one or two new bows per year back in the mid-'90s. I was a staff shooter for a major bow company back then and bows were making progress by leaps and bounds. Then there became kind of a lull where the mfg.'s were hell bent on sacrificing smoothness and reliability for speed. I'm glad I kept two of my favorite boes for hunting. I just haven't found anything that I like better than what I presently have.
Greg you need to shoot the General you get all the smoothness you need! Trust me!!
Old 07-25-2008, 12:55 PM
Dominant Buck

Are you implying my Hoyt is a Timex and yours is a Rolex? Accesories are simple to buy. I can get a $200 sight, top of the line rest, best strings, and a good tuning job and still split your arrows in half. I dont understand your comment?
I'm implying nothing of the sort.

I'm saying that what one man chooses to spend his hard earned money on is of NO business to anyone but that man, his family and his conscience.

If he can afford to buy (__________) and wants it.....it's sorta (understatement) nobody else's business.

"MY Timex got me here on time JUST like your Rolex". Good for you.
Old 07-25-2008, 01:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Hoyt_Viper

ORIGINAL: gzg38b

If money was no object I'd buy TWO new bows every year.

I love bows, and I love trying new things when it comes to archery. My bow is two years old now and I'm starting to get antsy.

I absolutely LOVED my current bow until I shot the 08 Bowtechs. I sort of wish I hadn't done that.....
Do you think the new 08 bowtechs have a better chance at killing a deer than my 3 yr old Hoyt? Or do they just feel better, and look newer?
I wasn't talking about your 3 year old Hoyt. I was talking about my 2 year old Pearson. I love my bow, but I like the draw cycle on the 101st Airborne better. My hybrid cam Pearson feels a little "spongy" at full draw. I like the crisp draw and solid back wall of the newer Bowtechs. That's why I WANT one. But my money situation dictates that I'll have to wait another year or two. I'm still shooting a great bow - I just know there's a bow out there that I would like even better than the one I have. That's all I'm sayin'.
Old 07-25-2008, 02:22 PM

I dont want the wife to run out of things to complain about. Got to keep her on her toes Plus if I dont use up the play money she will on shoes,clothes, or meaningless weekend getaways for us with her friends that I dont really like anyway. Never killed any deer with a shoe, So i buy a new bow and new set-up.
Old 07-25-2008, 03:06 PM
Typical Buck

Ive shot two different bows over the past 12 seasons and my Outback will still see a few more years.
Old 07-25-2008, 03:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had to buy a new bow last year because someone apparently liked my old bow better than I did and stole it. I uess I could have used one of my other 6 bows but oh well I wanted a new bow.The same question could be ask about guns too. Why buy more than 1 gun?? I say why not???

Quick Reply: Why does everyone buy a new bow every year?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.