Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Getting em to come to you...

Old 07-24-2008, 11:49 AM
Fork Horn

Default Getting em to come to you...

New bow hunter this year. I see alot of great looking deer that you guys have taken with bows on here. My main question is, how do you get em to come in on you to get a shot. Im 24 and kinda learning deer hunting on the fly andforums like this really increase your learning curve.

I figure corn or a nearby feeder would be a great way to get em moving, but here in PA baiting deer is illegal. I was wondering about what methods you use to get that deer in range.scents decoys, or is itjust dumb luck? that you get alegal buckto come in that close to get a shot.

I hunt a very small batch of woods where hunter traffic is fairly minimal, so im not going to get alot of guys pushing deer. It does however have a large population of deer in it. Everywhere you go back there you find evidence of nice bucks...rubs...scrapes...prints...droppings, ect....should i just keep scouting and set stands around these areas? or should i be looking for one particular animal and zero in on him?
Old 07-24-2008, 11:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Getting em to come to you...

You should find a good trail that the deer use allot and then pick out a good tree for a tree stand and then set one up and wait in your tree stand and I think it would be legal to baitthe deer with salt there. If so rock salt deer co-cain black magic=Really good! any of those will attract deer to the area cause they like the salt.
Old 07-24-2008, 11:58 AM
Typical Buck

Well if you're just starting out, I would keep it simple and just put a stand where you know there is deer traffic. Find a spot where a couple runs come together and sit off of it a ways.

Biggest thing is just getting experience and learning the deer IN YOUR WOODS. It will be different everywhere (there may be some exceptions). Basically just get out there and hunt, and who knows, maybe you'll get some of that dumb luck and have a bruiser come down one of those runs, right?
Old 07-24-2008, 12:06 PM
Fork Horn

that is some very good advise. just starting out you want to see deer learn about them. and then learn about how to hunt them at the same time. as far as baiting it helps to draw deer at a certain time but not all the time. your best strategy would be to find some trails with activity and sit about 20 yards downwind from them in a tree so you can see around you and watch deer activity for a couple of weeks. your stand selection might have been off so give it some time to pan out then move to where you see activity or to a new area.

basically just hunt. and you will find success follows.
Old 07-24-2008, 12:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: HOGHUNTINGUNLIMITED

You should find a good trail that the deer use allot and then pick out a good tree for a tree stand and then set one up and wait in your tree stand and I think it would be legal to baitthe deer with salt there. If so rock salt deer co-cain black magic=Really good! any of those will attract deer to the area cause they like the salt.
You didn't read the part where he mentioned baiting is illegal in Pa, this includes salt blocks. There are only 5 counties wherebaiting islegal on private land only.
Old 07-24-2008, 12:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Find some heave trails that intersect and set up there. If you can find a natural funnel, even better. A funnel could be described as some place the trials pinch together and deer travel thru to get from point a to point b. This may be a low a natural ridge that is easier to get thru or some heavy cover that keep them safe. In one of my particualr areas, its a small woodlot not 75 yards wide that wraps behind an industrial park. They either come thru this woods or thru the parking lots.

In early season, when it's hot, try a water source. Prerut, look for the food source. During the rut, find out where the Does are at. That's where the bucks will be.

Good Luck. You've come to a good place to learn.
Old 07-24-2008, 12:24 PM
Dominant Buck

I hunt small parcels. Even still.....it took me about a year to find the deer. I thought I knew where they were.....but I didn't. It was probably the best thing that could've happened. I hunted the fringes for a long time......still seeing "some" deer activity. As I moved more "inward" on the properties (where I 'thought' they were bedding)....I found the best funnels/transition areas/etc...

Don't be afraid to just set up a stand and know you're "probably" just observing from that spot. Then.....as the season progresses.....watch around you......and move "in" a little as time goes by. That way you don't run the risk of getting too tight to a bedding area.....too soon. Nothing wrong with getting back into those areas.....but those times have their advantages and pitfalls......and not too many advantages, early in the season (IMO).

Have fun.......observe....and good luck.
Old 07-24-2008, 12:31 PM
Fork Horn

Start by watching from a distance -- if you find a trail or funnel that you think is going to be the place, spend some time in the early AM or late afternoon watching from a distance -- well outside hunting range if visibilty allows. A lot of guys will use trail cameras for this, but that can get expensive. But keep in mind that patterns will change as the seasons change.

Also, always be aware of your scent. I don't use the scent blocker clothes, but I am conscientious about scent -- hunt the wind, don't walk on or across the game trail if you can help it at all. I'm also not a big believer in cover scents. Many hunters on this board will tell you (and I agree) that it is better to smell like nothing than to smell like something that may be unfamiliar or out of place. Take time now (pre-season) to clear and mark your route into your tree stand so that you can slip in silently in the dark. Also, take time to range targets from your stand - establishing reference points so that you're not guessing too wildly from the stand. Depeding on when your season starts, you can do a lot of that work now and the deer will be none the wiser once the season starts.

I say all this just so you don't spoil your hunting grounds - especially if it's a small plot.
Old 07-24-2008, 01:05 PM
Fork Horn

Pops,

Im just south of you down 279 in the North Hills.

Thanks for all the info guys...I guess just hanging out in the woods will help me out more than anything....Probaly another week or so and we are going to start popping in stands....
Old 07-24-2008, 01:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

You've got some nice bucks down your way. You hunting private property by chance? Anywhere near North Park? Some real Bruisers there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.