Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

thinking about starting bow hunting

Old 03-05-2003, 04:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default thinking about starting bow hunting

i am thinking about starting bow hunting but am not sure yet. most of all what kind of cammo works? like does it realy matter when you are sitting up in a tree stand that your cammo exactley matches the sournding area. And the big bow question. i have talked to alot of people about that and i am going to go to scheels and check them out and see which one fits me. but what brand do you prefer? and any other info i should have about it would be apreactated.
Old 03-05-2003, 05:05 PM

Default RE: thinking about starting bow hunting

It probably does not really matter much what camo pattern you choose. Many people on the various bowhunting forums prefer Predator or ASAT. Personnaly, I think that the 2 big name brands make you look like a big blob & don' t really do anything to break up your outline. I bought the Predator brand this past season and like it. Controlling your scent will be more of a concern while bowhunting since you want to get up close and personal with your quarry.

As far as the bow goes, opinions vary and are easily obtained around forums. The best advise is to try many different ones. I don' t think that you could go wrong with any of the " top" brands...Hoyt, Mathews, BowTech, PSE etc. A reputable pro shop is worth its weight in gold when it comes to shopping, setup etc.

Personally, I just traded my Mathews Q2 in for a 2003 Hoyt RazorTec. Of the 4 bows I' ve owned, it is by far the best!!!
Old 03-05-2003, 10:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wouldn' t worry right off on specific types of camo. Long as got some sort of camo on. Your setups themselves are just as important. You need to setup so your concealed well whether on the ground or up in a stand. Often just having a stand up in the air sticking out from a lone tree trunk with no branches doesn' t cut it, and you stick out like a sore thumb no matter what kind of camo you where. Its best to place your stand on the back side of the tree from expected travel, and if possible the sun at your back.
On bows, if you haven' t previously owned a bow or done much shooting start out simple. Invest into a simple beginner' s type bow to start. There are several good package bows on the market with about everything you need to get going. Most are even under $400. Its important to learn proper technique, and shooting. The faster they are often the harder they are to shoot. Your on the right track by going to a archery shop to start, and be properly fitted to a bow, do some shooting, and see how they feel to you. Don' t worry so much about having the latest, and greatest to start. There are alot of good bows out on the market. Its so competitive now companys have to put out good stuff or they die off quickly. Archers are keen to knowing junk when they see it! Also remember getting started is part of the adventure, enjoy it, and welcome to Bowhunting!!!!!!!
Old 03-06-2003, 01:38 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 03-06-2003, 05:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

i own a bow right now. its an used one that my uncles friend gave me because he bought a new one. i guess i could use it for deer but i dont think i trust it all that much. i have shot it quite a bit so i know how to shoot a bow and stuff like that. thnks for the info it will help me out
Old 03-06-2003, 06:55 AM

Watchout! This stuff is addicting! I' m chomp' n at the bit.
Sticking a hog is in the near future for me and I can' t wait.

Scent Blocker 3-D Leafy Suit

About ScentBlocker Plus From the cutting edge of science comes a fabric so effective that human odor can now be a worry of the past. ScentBlocker Plus contains activated carbons that specifically absorb organic human odors. A product of high-tech military research, ScentBlocker Plus targets the sources--the fatty acids, aminos, buteric and valeric acids--that cause organic odors. The ScentBlocker Plus' perfectly balanced formulation lets you forget the wind...and hunt with confidence!

As long as you are accurate with the bow you have, practice with it and make it as quite as possible.

If you have your own property, it would be a good idea to plant a food plot, within range of your bow accuracy, this spring.
Old 03-06-2003, 01:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have worn many brands and many colors, heck I' ve even worn different tops and bottoms at the same time, even with an orange vest and they never knew I was there. They see movement not colors. Good Luck and Good Hunting
Old 03-06-2003, 01:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

WARNING

It is highly addictive. It could cause failure to pay attention at work or home! It could also cause marital as well as financial problems!
Old 03-06-2003, 02:15 PM
mez
Nontypical Buck

Are their any archery pro shops in your area of North Dakota? Scheels is a great store but not the best place to buy a bow. The ones i have been in don' t have anywhere to shoot the bows and the knowledge of the sales staff usually leaves a little to be desired. If Scheels is the only option, take Krisken' s advice and take someone along to watch out for you. It would really help if you could shoot the bows before buying.
Old 03-06-2003, 03:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hyawatha i live on a farm with cattle and crop land. we have sun flowers, corn, barley, oats, ect... and no i dont know of any pro shops around here. i am sure there are some in a city. like Fargo ND has a scheels and some other sports shops. i am sure there are pro shops there i will have to find out. i have perminate tree stands already so tree stands are not an issue.

Quick Reply: thinking about starting bow hunting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.