Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

thinking about starting bow hunting

Old 03-06-2003, 04:05 PM

Default RE: thinking about starting bow hunting

Most new camo works ! try not to buy into all the hype stick to a pattern that' s not too cluttered and won' t break up your outline that is the key. That and try to match the prominent colors outdoors inthe area you hunt when you' re gonna hunt it( i.e. winter will use lots of whites greys and shadow) I try to get a couple different patterns and mix and match. Alot of guys try to make a fashion statement.Ive seen some guys that I hunted with who didn' t have alot to invest and we got em set up with some earth type colors in PLAID FLANNEL SHIRTS( of all things?!!) and they all got deer. I think that scent concealment and stand placement(RESEARCH) is of more importance!!! As far as bows go , despite what anyone else tells you get what you can afford and become proficient with it and know your limitations. Learn shot placement and whento draw and not to. If you know your limitations and have some basic knowledge of an area and where to locate yourself that' s half the battle. Sorry for the essay but the sport is becoming way too commercial and I think that discourages people. I' m by far not a guru but have been hunting w/ bows for 25 yrs and shooting longer. Hope this helps. JUST MY TWO CENTS!!!
Old 03-06-2003, 04:10 PM

Oh yeah and hit as many 3D shoots as you can stand!! Builds those muscles needed and I personally like to shoot 10 lbs more draw weight at targets than at game as it makes it that much easier to hold . That and it helps with yardage estimation to suppliment a rangefinder.PRAACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-06-2003, 04:40 PM

Glad to hear your getting into bowhunting. I really enjoy it and im sure you will too. As far as camo, i feel its good to match the surrounding as good as you can but it dosent have to be that perfect when your up in a tree, just somthing that breaks up your outline a little. I really like Realtree camo patterns. And for bows, PSE makes some pretty nice bows.
Old 03-06-2003, 09:37 PM

Get a camo pattern that best matches your back ground. I have camo for hunting from treestands and camo for hunting from ground blinds. There is also camo for early season and for late season. The choices are many but matching your back ground and breaking up you out line is very important.

Get the best quality bow that you can afford. There are several bow companies that make quaility bows. Gather as much information as you can and shoot several bows in your price range. You will find one that feels right for you.

Bowhunting is great. You' ll love it.
Old 03-06-2003, 09:58 PM

Well, your gonna get addicted to archery. I swear, you won' t go a day without saying to yourself " Maybe I should get out there and put a couple shots in the target" , then you come back in three hours later, and 300 holes in the target

As far as bows, I can name what I consider the best beginner bows........ Hoyt MT Sport, BowTech Stalker, Browning Tornado, and Martin Tracer Mag. These are all low priced, high performance bows that are made for one reason, high quality without the price.

As far as camo goes. Pick whatever you want. I honestly don' t believe that camo matters at all. Two years ago, I went out in the middle of summer, at 1:00 in the afternoon to checkout my new treestand. Well, I went down into the woods and put my climber on the tree. I got up about 8 feet in the tree and sat down (I didn' t want to get really high without knowing the stand, which is a good tip). Well, I was wearing a bright yellow old navy shirt, khaki old navy shorts, sandals, and I had my normal deodarant and cologne (Old Spice deoderant, and Georgio Armani Aqua Da Gio cologne) on. I had a doe walk past the tree I was in by meer feet and she never knew I was there. O yeah, I wore sandals while walking into that tree.

Know, I am not going to say don' t wear camo or don' t watch the scent, but I think that too many people get too caught up in these aspects and forget to enjoy themselves. Jay Gregory on RealTree Monster Bucks X is a perfect example. He had a buck comming in, the wind changed and was blowing right towards the deer. Jay goes on to almost have a heart attack or start crying. I swear, I was waiting to see tears. Then, he pulls out Tinks dirt gel and sprays enough for 50 people. He just wasn' t enjoying the hunt, which to me is the biggest reason I go. Just don' t get too worried about all of this. Always try to watch your scent and conceal yourself, that is a given, but dont make that the biggest problem in your life.

Just my advice.
Old 03-06-2003, 10:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Camo just buy a outline breakup, not blend camo and you' ll be much happier. I believe outline bust up is the key to concealment not matching or blend. Many camos that seem to be perfect for the area, when you back off are in fact huge blobs of camo and quite detectable by my eye (little lone a deer). While the breakup may be visible at first glance you can see how it actually becomes part of the settings. You should try and match your camo somewhat to your desired area to hunt, meaning a green,in brown setting will stand out no matter what technology...but I think you get the idea. I use Predator and buddies who use ASAT, those are the only 2 camos I believe in. Yes I have used Realtree, mossy oak and they don' t compare to my predator. I use the fall grey(use the most when deer hunting), fall brown and spring green (for pines/spring bear hunting) currently. I think my next pattern will be the deception by predator to replace my fall brown. Anyway, check out predator at www.predatorcamo.com and see if you like.

Bows, well their really are so many. I have owned a number but I have to be honest the one I like the best for me is Martin. They may not have all the fancy ads and hoopla that others have but they have been solid workhorses in my experience. I only shoot bow to hunt and to me it is fit, function and dependability...my martins have never let me down.
Old 03-07-2003, 06:48 AM

Well in 2002 I Bow hunted for the first time and I love it. Goto a bow shop and see if you can try some out. Here is a pic of my First Bowed Buck