Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Broadhead cutting diameter vs. tissue damage...

Old 07-25-2008, 08:28 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Broadhead cutting diameter vs. tissue damage...

The reason I don't like 2 blade broadheads very much is becuase you can't control the orientation of the blades as they pass through the animal. For example, on a marginal hit the blade might pass through vertically or horizontally. That could make the difference between hitting a vital organ and missing it.
It's not like there's a "void" where no vital organs exist. If you put an arrow into the vitals......you're gonna hit vital organs. "Might" you tear up more lung and miss the heart? Sure. "Might" you hit more liver than lung? Sure.

But you're STILL cutting at least a 2" swath through the organs....and there is no "void" where you might "miss" vitals. Theyre packed in ther epretty tight....and it's a "pretty good"design.
Old 07-25-2008, 08:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

There are compelling arguments on both sides. From my experience, I have shot and killed animals with 1 1/8" 4 blade Muzzys and also with Rage 2 blades. The end results were the same, dead animals and meat on the table, but I have to say the wound inflicted by the Rages was much more visually impressing than that of the Muzzys.

That doesn't make the animal any more dead, but I'm just sayin'.
Old 07-25-2008, 09:08 AM
Boone & Crockett

I said part ofthis on the other thread about the hypothetical 12 blade broadhead vs. the 12" 2 blade broadhead.

#1. Like all things in life there is a point of maximum returns anddiminished returns. IMO 4 blades is at the point of maximum returns in regards to cutting "surface", total tissue damage and cutting diameter all rolled into one. Keep adding more blades and you aren't gaining much of anything over 4 blades buttake away blades and you are cutting less tissue for a given diameteras the arrow passes through the animal. A 4 blade head obviously cuts a nice square hole that when muscles, skin and organs strech becomes a circular hole.

#2. That 12" wide 2 blade head would bounce right off the deer and I doubt would even cut past the hair.

#3. The marginal shot argument for the wide cutting 2 blade heads is, IMO, not even worth talking about. There are instances I could see where the number of blades and/ or the cutting diameter could definetly make a difference.

Say you shoot a deer in the hind leg1/2 of an inch fromthe femoral artery because it jumped the string. That two balde could just easily slice into theartery as it could miss it completelyif the blades were not oriented correctly in relationship to theartery you are hoping got cut. So could a multi balde head since the cutting diameter isn't as wide. One is just as likely to cut it as the other.
Old 07-25-2008, 09:14 AM
Dominant Buck

Say you shoot a deer in the hind leg1/2 of an inch fromthe femoral artery because it jumped the string. That two balde could just easily slice into theartery as it could miss it completelyif the blades were not oriented correctly in relationship to theartery you are hoping got cut. So could a multi balde head since the cutting diameter isn't as wide. One is just as likely to cut it as the other.
If BH companies were designing heads ......with the thinking of anything other than them being shot through a deer's (or insert any game animal's) vitals.....I might agree with you.

I'm just not ready to shirk off everything I know about my BH choice on a "chance" femoral artery hit or not. If I hit a deer, there.....shame on me. This thinking would be like designing cars for train collisions. They do the best they can with what happens most. I'd dare to hazard the guess that MOST people hit their deer in the vitals or (at worst) a gut shot.

I'm gonna plan on what happens 90+% of the time and leave the rest to chance. Call me crazy.
Old 07-25-2008, 10:01 AM
Boone & Crockett

That's my point.
The marginal shot argument for the wide cutting 2 blade heads is, IMO, not even worth talking about. There are instances I could see where the number of blades and/ or the cutting diameter could definetly make a difference.
In rereading this I might not have been as clear in typeas I was in my head. [8D]That was suppose to point out where there could be instances that would favor or not favor either type of head.

IMO that argument isn't even worth debating. It's 6 in one hand, half a dozen in the other.
Old 07-25-2008, 02:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

The reason I don't like 2 blade broadheads very much is becuase you can't control the orientation of the blades as they pass through the animal. For example, on a marginal hit the blade might pass through vertically or horizontally. That could make the difference between hitting a vital organ and missing it.
It's not like there's a "void" where no vital organs exist. If you put an arrow into the vitals......you're gonna hit vital organs. "Might" you tear up more lung and miss the heart? Sure. "Might" you hit more liver than lung? Sure.

But you're STILL cutting at least a 2" swath through the organs....and there is no "void" where you might "miss" vitals. Theyre packed in ther epretty tight....and it's a "pretty good"design.
I agree with you that if you put it in the boiler room broadhead style is irrelevant. Unfortunately, although nobody plans to do it, there ARE rare times when a bowhunter might make less than a perfect shot.

Example 1, lets say you hit them high, 1/2" below the spine at the top of the lungs. IF the Rage is oriented vertically, you slice through the spine and take out a good chunk of the lungs. Deer dies in his tracks. But if the Rage is oriented horizontally, you just nicked the top of the lungs and you'll probably have a long tracking job.

Example 2: You shoot a little too far back, and miss the liver by 1/4". If the Rage is oriented horizontally, you'll still slice a 1 3/4" gash in the liver. If it's oriented vertically, you'll completely miss the liver and have a long tracking job ahead of you.

Example 3: You shoot1/2" under the heart, right into the brisket. If the Rage is vertical, you gash the heart open and the deer dies. If the Rage is horizontal, you've just hit grizzle and the deer lives.

These freaky type scenarios are a big reason I am weary of 2 blade broadheads. I just feel better with 3 blades.
Old 07-25-2008, 02:28 PM
Dominant Buck

I agree with you that if you put it in the boiler room broadhead style is irrelevant. Unfortunately, although nobody plans to do it, there ARE rare times when a bowhunter might make less than a perfect shot.

Example 1, lets say you hit them high, 1/2" below the spine at the top of the lungs. IF the Rage is oriented vertically, you slice through the spine and take out a good chunk of the lungs. Deer dies in his tracks. But if the Rage is oriented horizontally, you just nicked the top of the lungs and you'll probably have a long tracking job.

Example 2: You shoot a little too far back, and miss the liver by 1/4". If the Rage is oriented horizontally, you'll still slice a 1 3/4" gash in the liver. If it's oriented vertically, you'll completely miss the liver and have a long tracking job ahead of you.

Example 3: You shoot1/2" under the heart, right into the brisket. If the Rage is vertical, you gash the heart open and the deer dies. If the Rage is horizontal, you've just hit grizzle and the deer lives.

These freaky type scenarios are a big reason I am weary of 2 blade broadheads. I just feel better with 3 blades.
That was a good post. It won't change my mind about what typehead I use.....but the logic is sound. Like I said.....I (and the BH companies) plan on the 90+% and "take" the rest.I'm willing to take my chances on the good being better than the odd "other"/unique scenario.

Funny, though.....the head most are telling me to use in my Trad. setup is a fixed,2-blade COC. Same "logic" would apply to that head, too, I guess, huh?
Old 07-25-2008, 02:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

That was a good post. It won't change my mind about what typehead I use.....but the logic is sound. Like I said.....I (and the BH companies) plan on the 90+% and "take" the rest.I'm willing to take my chances on the good being better than the odd "other"/unique scenario.

Funny, though.....the head most are telling me to use in my Trad. setup is a fixed,2-blade COC. Same "logic" would apply to that head, too, I guess, huh?
Despite the freaky scenarios I laid out, I could easily see myself using a Rage 2 blade if they made it in a 125 grain version. I just feel safer with a 3 blade on borderline hits. But you can't argue with the damage a Rage does when you put it in the right spot.

As far as traditional goes, I think penetration is the reason those guys go for 2 blade coc heads.
Old 07-25-2008, 02:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Dubbya

ORIGINAL: buckeye

I keep reading about the HUGE 2" cut on the rage heads....

The head is 2 blades and inflicts a 2" path of tissue damage.

The new grizztrick in comparison is a 4 blade with a 1 1/4" cutting diameter....

The grizztrick will inflict a2 1/2"path of tissue damage thru the deer...

So my question is.... How do you guys consider the Rage as the biggest cutting most devastating head available?

[/align]
I don't consider the Rage as the biggest cutting most devastating head available. That's why I'm waiting on my GrizzTricks.
Neither do I!

I'm also waiting for Grizz Tricks!!

Dan
Old 07-25-2008, 02:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Like I said.....I (and the BH companies) plan on the 90+% and "take" the rest.I'm willing to take my chances on the good being better than the odd "other"/unique scenario.
That's Ok unless the Buck of a lifetime falls in that 10%

But I guess in some areas you have a better chance of winning the Lottery than having a Buck of a Life time walk by.[8D]

Dan