Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Checking in deer by phone--"earn a buck" conflict

Old 07-23-2008, 08:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Checking in deer by phone--"earn a buck" conflict

The county in which I live and several other surrounding counties are "earn a buck" this year for the first time that I can ever remember. We are also allowed to check our deer in by phone in Virginia as of a couple years ago. I have a big concern. Do you think people will falsify killing a doe the first couple of days of bow season just to open up their buck tag? I mean we can kill like 5-6 deer a year here in Virginia, so who cares if you lose one doe tag if you can immediately get on the bucks. If people are not forced to "prove" they killed a doe at a real game check station, then I feel there is going to be alot of lying. Also, the overall deer kill may soar as well due to people fibbing, thereby skewing the real deer harvest stats which are used to plan for the future.

This concerns me.

Old 07-23-2008, 08:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Checking in deer by phone--"earn a buck" conflict

Legit concern. Might want to think about contacting the state wildlife folks and express your concern. Honest people may have to join the "Slickheads Forever Club" until VA straightens it out.
Old 07-23-2008, 08:29 PM
Typical Buck

Yes there will be people who falsify. Probably a lot of themnot many people look at the future when they think about deer hunting. They are too concerned with "ooooh a buck let me shoot him". that's why I am a big fan of check stations.
Old 07-23-2008, 08:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

I hear ya, kinda seems to be its own worst enemy! I have no problem taking my deer in to the registration station, kinda cool if ya ask me! We go there and have a soda and get a sandwich and shoot the ****e with guys as they bring their deer in to register! I enjoy it!
Old 07-23-2008, 08:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am a big fan of check stations as well Kamil. Although I have seen less and less of them up here in Northern Virginia. I used to see them alot more when I lived a little farther south in VA. In fact, I can only think of one legit check station within 30 minutes of my house, other than the check station on the base I hunt.
Old 07-23-2008, 08:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like the check stations. Here its at a gas station and the bad thing is some of the people who work there don't ever even look at the deer. You could falsify there by saying its a doe when its a buck. Still have a buck tag then. So I really don't care which way (station/phone) they do it here. I do like seeing what everyone else is bringing in though. You can't stop other people from falsifying so I don't worry about them. I'll stay honest!!
Old 07-23-2008, 08:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

In my state there are no check stations but I could see how having them and then doing away with them could create a problem. Let me re-phrase that, there are no check stations unless you hunt certain public forests....
Old 07-23-2008, 08:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

we have EAB. we have to reg. our deer. People were reg. the same deer several times by several people. and reg. road kills! they started clipping an ear to stop the multiple regs.
Old 07-23-2008, 09:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

See magic, what the hell is wrong with people? I could not bring myself to behave like those idiots.
Old 07-23-2008, 09:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: virginiashadow

See magic, what the hell is wrong with people? I could not bring myself to behave like those idiots.
I am lucky to only have EAB for 1 season in my area. I shoot does every year anyway. I usually wait until Dec. to do it. That year I had to get a doe ASAP. We also can shoot a doe and carry the EAB over to the next season. I like that option. So far it hasn't been an issue in my area. But I'm happy for the guys that are in EAB and can carry over.

Oh ya, most guy's aren't as honest as the guys on here.

Quick Reply: Checking in deer by phone--"earn a buck" conflict

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.