Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Checking in deer by phone--"earn a buck" conflict

Old 07-25-2008, 05:32 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Checking in deer by phone--"earn a buck" conflict

We can take twelve deer, two of them being bucks with each weapon (bow, shotgun, smoke-pole) with the only catch being that you must take two does after the first buck...before taking the second buck. We too have phone check in so it would make it very easy for someone to call in false doe kills just to take the second buck.
Lets face it, people who want to cheat bad enough are going to do so no matter what rules are in place. They will find a way. That's not to say I think we should make it easy on them, but if they want to, they will.
Old 07-25-2008, 05:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

in KY you can call in your deer.

I knew alot of people who called in each others deer (party hunting)I even heard of one guy who tagged a buck as a doe.
Alot of people down there who do there own butchering do not even phone it in and keep the tag.
ORIGINAL: virginiashadow

The county in which I live and several other surrounding counties are "earn a buck" this year for the first time that I can ever remember. We are also allowed to check our deer in by phone in Virginia as of a couple years ago. I have a big concern. Do you think people will falsify killing a doe the first couple of days of bow season just to open up their buck tag? I mean we can kill like 5-6 deer a year here in Virginia, so who cares if you lose one doe tag if you can immediately get on the bucks. If people are not forced to "prove" they killed a doe at a real game check station, then I feel there is going to be alot of lying. Also, the overall deer kill may soar as well due to people fibbing, thereby skewing the real deer harvest stats which are used to plan for the future.

This concerns me.
Old 07-25-2008, 08:08 AM
Typical Buck

One point to remember regarding phone-in checking of game; As you complete the call, you probably get a confirmation number to record on your tag! If you take your prized possesion to a butcher, they typically record those confirmation numbers and forward them to the Department of Conservation in list form.

The DOC then compares that data with the data that you entered when checking your game by phone to see if it matches. If it does, no problem. If it doesn't, you'll probably be getting a call or a visit. I realize that some people butcher their own game so it's not a totally foolproof system, but I know a lot of people who take their game tothe butcher's and meat processors, and thereare some checks and balances in place.
Old 07-25-2008, 02:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

ya i do agree heck even with a check in station.
What makes the dishonest go there if they do there own butcher.
I mean hack
You shoot a deer have 24 hours to check it in and you go home butcher it and it is in your freezer in a hour or two.
ORIGINAL: mofireman

One point to remember regarding phone-in checking of game; As you complete the call, you probably get a confirmation number to record on your tag! If you take your prized possesion to a butcher, they typically record those confirmation numbers and forward them to the Department of Conservation in list form.

The DOC then compares that data with the data that you entered when checking your game by phone to see if it matches. If it does, no problem. If it doesn't, you'll probably be getting a call or a visit. I realize that some people butcher their own game so it's not a totally foolproof system, but I know a lot of people who take their game tothe butcher's and meat processors, and thereare some checks and balances in place.