Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Checking in deer by phone--"earn a buck" conflict

Old 07-24-2008, 02:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Checking in deer by phone--"earn a buck" conflict

there will be people that do it.
wish we still had check stations here [:'(]
Old 07-24-2008, 02:32 AM
Fork Horn

I thought about the same thing. I wonder if the wardens in your county will do some random checks of the does harvested early in the season. They could catch a few guys doing that if they can't come up with a dead doe.

Old 07-24-2008, 04:49 AM
Dominant Buck

I can tell you......if that type system were implemented, here.....I don't know too many guys who wouldn't tag a doe on opening morning.

What it would do to the "realistic" recording of doe harvests would bother the hell out of me, too.
Old 07-24-2008, 05:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think you will have a real problem there virginia,but then again thats the problem with the world today there are more dishonest people then there are honest people! Man does that ever piss me off![:@]
Old 07-24-2008, 05:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Do any of you really believe slobs are going to take a deer to a check station?

I have more to do than load a deer in my truck in the dark and drive god knows how far burning $4.00 a gallon gas to show some one I actually shot one. Whats the point?
Old 07-24-2008, 05:55 AM
Dominant Buck

If your premise is he wouldn't check in a buck, either, Jim.....I agree, sadly.

BUT.....If I KNOW a man hasn't shot his EAB doe, yet.....and he's bragging up a buck kill......I'll call him in.
Old 07-24-2008, 05:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

The morons that break game laws aren't particular about what ones they break.

And I do have better things to do than justifying over time pay for another government employee.[:@]
Old 07-24-2008, 06:14 AM
Dominant Buck

I personnally think the earn a buck program is a bunch of crap. We don't have it here, in fact it's tough to get a doe tag at all most of the time. But, if someone, and a lot of people are in this boat, gets limited time to hunt... let him kill a buck if he sees it. You want more does killed, give out some more tags. I agree your phone in will be violated and abused. I'm sure they thought of that and have it calculated into the management plan. Earn a buck sucks IMO. Glad we don't have it. We get 3 tags, a bow or muzzleloader either sex, a bow or muzzleloader antlerless only and a regular firearms season buck only. If you're lucky enough to be drawn you get another doe tag.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hear you David----we have a very lare doe population here in my county. They want them reduced to reduce the number of vehicle collisions. I am not real concerned with the EAB thing or its justification, just more concerned that people will not follow the law.
Old 07-25-2008, 03:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am sure it will happen, but then again it hopefully will make most hunters do what it's supposed to and get some more does killed. If you read the regs, your first buck it "free" You don't have to "earn' it, the 2nd and 3rd" must be earned. You can also pre-qualify by killing two does early on and then hunt as normal. For me it's a no brainer I shot 9 deer last year ( using bonus tags) and 7 were does. I am glad to see the earn a buck and I love the convience of the phone in check stations, but like everything else I am sure there will be abuses. I hunt in 3 different counties two of which are effected by the earn a buck program so I will have to be real careful about what I shoot were, but then again that's hunting in VA.

Quick Reply: Checking in deer by phone--"earn a buck" conflict

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.