Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Muzzy MX-3.....Is it just me?

Old 07-22-2008, 10:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Muzzy MX-3.....Is it just me?

Or are they really picky? I have my bow this year tuned to the best of my ability. The arrows spine out perfectly, it tears an excellent hole through paper, you couldn't ask for any better and for the second year in a row, I can't get the darn things to fly. Every other broadhead I put through it, flies like darts. The only thing I can think of is to shoot feathers or a 4" vane. I'm shooting 2" Predator Duravanes, with a right helical. I just can't get them to shoot for some reason. I wasn't really interested in shooting them this year but I figured I'd see if I could get them to fly this year.

For a fixed head, I officially learned tonight that Slick Tricks are going to be hard to beat.

Rage's will still be first out of the quiver. If I get a second opportunity, a Slick Trick might be tested.

Old 07-23-2008, 07:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Muzzy MX-3.....Is it just me?

I had trouble with the MX-4's
Old 07-23-2008, 07:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

It's just you.
Old 07-23-2008, 07:42 AM
Spike

I had troubles with the MX-4 also. I could put a 3 blade muxxy broadhead in the bullseye at 40 yds all day. TheMX-4 was off at 20 yds. The bow was tuned great, justdidn't like that head.
Old 07-23-2008, 07:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yep, the 4s received that feedback from numerous sources -- but none of it has been attached to the MX-3.

Matt, are you squaring off your inserts with a GSD or similar device?
Old 07-23-2008, 07:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't know.......I had a heck of a time with the MX-4's last year. I really wanted to give them a shot but they were just so picky. I settled on slick tricks and Rage's for my hunting heads.

I'm fairly convinced that certain cam types are more forgiving with fixed blade heads or at least easier to tune for fixed heads. I loved the single cam bows I've hunted with (will likely have another in the near future), but nothing has been quite as easy to tune for fixed blade broadheads for me as binary cams.
Old 07-23-2008, 07:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

At 5' your tear seems to be down but the picture could be deceiving.
Old 07-23-2008, 08:12 AM

I really hate to say this as I am sure I will be slammed but I am speaking from the experience of my local pro shop who I trust very much. He who I speak of used Muzzy heads for about 20 years and over the past 10 he believes that their quality has declined especially when compared to similar heads in that price range. His biggest complaint is that the edge is not near what it used to be and he has yet to open a new box in the past few years that does not need sharpening on every single blade. He has tried a few times to go back to his old standby but is turned back every time. In his opinion their modern success rides on their past quality. By the way I am referenceing the MX-3. Ok bring on the flogging.
Old 07-23-2008, 08:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

At 5' your tear seems to be down but the picture could be deceiving.
It's deiceving.

Greg, I squared averything, back end, front end, and then the inserts. I do that with all my hunting arrows. I even tried the darn thing on multiple arrows. THEN I gave it to my buddy and his sailed 4inches high and 3right from his field points at 30yds. I don't know what more I could do. I've tuned the bow until I'm blue in the face, and it shoots ANY other broadhead.

Greg, I know you used feathers and your affiliated with Muzzy. Is there any direct correlation there? Have you shot them with a 2" vane?

As I said, I'm not as interested in using them this year, because the slick tricks impressed me, but I'd like to see them fly true.