Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Slick trick , wow!

Old 07-22-2008, 08:28 AM

Default Slick trick , wow!

I just shot my 100 gr slick tricks standards and all I have to say is wow!!! They fly better than field points. I shot out to 30 yds and bulls eye every shot. Great heads and compact to my surprise, I was n't expecting them to be so small. I mean the 1" cut is there, but the furell is small. One question though....I shoot the Axis arrows and I do have the BH adapter rings for these arrows, but didn't see where it would help. Do I need the those rings for these heads on these arrows?? Anyone know??
Old 07-22-2008, 09:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Slick trick , wow!

Wait to you put a hole in something!I have shot the Mags mostly and they have been nothing short of Awesome! Best replaceable blade broadhead I have used in 40 years of Bowhunting.

This year I am thinking of trying the new Grizz Trick!!

Dan
Old 07-22-2008, 09:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

VA thats a head i have not tried YET but here nothing but good about them. Im looking forward to your opinion when you send one through a hide
Old 07-22-2008, 09:23 AM

man Im telling you Blood, they fly better than a FP and are so stable in flight it's hard to believe. I was like , ain't no way this head fly this great, I shot like 4-5 times more and it never changed. Good bye Muzzy!! You were great, but you don't fly like that!
Old 07-22-2008, 09:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

I switched from Muzzys to ST 4 years ago and I never looked back.Great head

Hatchet Jackass
Old 07-22-2008, 09:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot them with my FMJs and don't use any adapters. You should be fine I think. Great head choice, you won't be sorry! Besides the great flight, they are tough as hell, killed two and a coon with the same head two years ago. I was sad when it was done, seemed to be a little lucky for me. I still use the ferrule, but the blades had to be retired due to an unfortunate incident with a rock.
Old 07-22-2008, 10:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Vabowman

man Im telling you Blood, they fly better than a FP and are so stable in flight it's hard to believe. I was like , ain't no way this head fly this great, I shot like 4-5 times more and it never changed. Good bye Muzzy!! You were great, but you don't fly like that!
VA ... how on earth can they fly BETTER than a field point???????????????? I believe they fly great ... but better?
Old 07-22-2008, 10:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

VA ... how on earth can they fly BETTER than a field point???????????????? I believe they fly great ... but better?
It's that phenomenon called "New Toy Perception" whether it's bows, sights, arrows, or whatever

........When you go from a broadhead that doesn't fly exactly like your field points to one that DOES it makes a guy's mind react with almost amazement that they actually hit exactly where he's aiming. LOL
Slick Tricks are one of the few replaceable blade fixed heads that I've shot that fly with my field points out of a purposely out of tune bow. I took that same bow and tried to shoot a Muzzy MX-4 alongside for comparison and it looked like I was throwing paper airplanes.
Old 07-22-2008, 10:37 AM
Dominant Buck

Slick Tricks are one of the few replaceable blade fixed heads that I've shot that fly with my field points out of a purposely out of tune bow.
Which is why (IMO) "some" people shoot them (and mechanicals, also, in general).

Is this a good thing?[8D]
Old 07-22-2008, 10:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Slick Tricks are one of the few replaceable blade fixed heads that I've shot that fly with my field points out of a purposely out of tune bow.
Which is why (IMO) "some" people shoot them (and mechanicals, also, in general).

Is this a good thing?[8D]
Not really but it does also depend on the amount a bow is out of tune and what the arrow will be doing at impact........arrows with broadheads that behave like field points self correct pretty quickly out of bows that are only slightly out of tune. They can get going straight relatively quickly.

However there are a good number of broadheads depending on fletching size and style of course that will magnify even slight tuning issues and cause erratic flight.

A badly out of tune bow, one that you can visually SEE even field point arrows whipping around is the worst case scenario........some of these inherently accurate broadheads will still fly pretty darn consistently, the problem lies in what the arrow is doing and the direction of its force and momentum on impact that is the issue.
THOSE are the true band-aid shooters and the ones doing themselves a serious disservice by simply finding a broadhead that flies where they want it to go without regard for what it will do when it gets there.

We should all strive to get those arrows flying tip over tail from the second they leave the bow. It will maximize the performance potential of ANY broadhead and not create a sense of false confidence in the fact that your broadheads are at least flying very close to your field points. That doesnt necessarily mean they are flying STRAIGHTwhich createsthe best penetration possible on any given hit.

Quick Reply: Slick trick , wow!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.