Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

how early is to early

Old 07-20-2008, 10:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default how early is to early

ok guys i found a great spot just down the road from my house on public land

the office tells me there is only a few hunters out though the week duringbow seaon.Proplem is this spot isright by the road. In fact if iblind hunt it i would need to stay with in 50 to 75 yards of the road. due to the deer using both back corners and the field is only150 yards or so deep.
i just wonder how early i will need to get there to get the spot.
also say i am the first there 20 mins later someone shows up what do you think are the chance someone will set up ontopof me in the small field
about150 yardsdeep by maybe 150 wide

how would you hunt it
Old 07-20-2008, 11:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: how early is to early

I would say someone probably will set up on top of you with that set up. I have seen this scenario over and over, and trucks are parked all over fields the first week or so of hunting season. I actaully like to see the trucks parked in those spots, because it makes me feel alot better when I set up 400-500 yards behind them and intercept moving deer. If you get out there day one or two of the season and noone is hunting, then you might be able to hunt the corners of that field if the wind if right. If not, you need to have plans B, C, D, etc. I would move back off the fields and try to find where the deer are bedding and try to intercept them if they are moving to that field. I would much rather be in 400-500 yards deep away from that field and the potential pressure from other hunters, than setting up right on the field all the while stressing about whether other hunters will show up and ruin your hunt. Best of luck. Do you have a map of the area? Maybe you could get an aerial view online and post it on here so we could see it. Best of luck tim.
Old 07-20-2008, 01:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

i went to google map in the back of the field there is a stirp off woods say 30 yards wide behind it is a smaller field looks like the same stuff i think tomorrow morning i might take a drive out there and check it out
Old 07-20-2008, 01:37 PM

When it comes to public land, there's no such thing as getting there too early. Where I hunt, guys will usually head on down the road when they see your truck parked nearby. Hunters on top of hunters just messes it up foreveryone. LikeVS said, if you have company, get in there further and tuck yourself between bedding/feeding area. But if the buck is worth it, make sure you're the first guy in that parking spot!
Old 07-20-2008, 02:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt mostly public land, and I can say that if you get out there at 4am you will probably not be too early. LOL
Around here if someone knows your vehicle, and you are considered a good hunter they will park right next to you and try to find you in the woods. It's insane.
Like the others, I would recommend getting farther in the woods and let the other hunters push the deer to you.