Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hey Duke....More "Home Range" fodder

Old 07-18-2008, 07:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Hey Duke....More "Home Range" fodder

Jeff, that's interesting. I've always felt that around where I live the bucks don't disperse as much as they do in other areas just because there is not that much livable land to disperse to. Everything is so built up it's just small subdivisions and horse farms. The actual ag farms get hammered and hold huge numbers of deer, but the bucks don't live there because of the hunting pressure. As the season draws closer you won't see them out there until around midnight or later which tells me they are not on their feet until right around dark and are coming a long ways to get there.

Then in the fall, once the acorns drop they don't need to travel far for food anymore. As Tony said, up on their feet (but usually right at dark) fill their belly and then back to bed. That leaves a very small range to try to hunt and if you have permission on the wrong piece it doesn't leave you much chance until the rut.

Tony, it sounds like you've got a solid plan. When is your opener? I bet your chompin' at the bit to get in there.
Old 07-18-2008, 07:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Where the red meets the yellow in the center top is where I would be for the first week of November.
Old 07-18-2008, 07:27 AM

Jeff, was the article about why young bucks don't disperse or about mature bucks home ranges?
Old 07-18-2008, 07:27 AM
Bartender

Sept 13th but I won't be hunting out there then. I have a lot of spots this year but the opener I will be close to home.

Actually Jim that is where I hunted with gun the last2 yearsclosing weekendand had does come out just to the south of me.
By then my brother and step dad have it pretty much pressured out.

Jeff sorry dude did not mean to hijack this, I was just trying to show where he beds by the house.
Old 07-18-2008, 07:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bawanajim

Where the red meets the yellow in the center top is where I would be for the first week of November.
I'm thinking he's hoping to have that tag filled before then.
Old 07-18-2008, 07:30 AM
Dominant Buck

Jeff, was the article about why young bucks don't disperse or about mature bucks home ranges?
Mornin. Dan.

Actually it wasn't either. It was just a quick quiz (1 question - out of about 5)asking if bucks disperse from where they were reared. It then went a "little" more in-depth during the answer portion.
Old 07-18-2008, 09:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Read a short article last night (I'll post the publication after lunch.....but it was in a question/answer type quiz section) referencing more about a buck's home range.

The question was dealing with bucks....and why they DON'T disperse.....if there's not a reason to do so. It stated if a buck had everything he needed in the area he was reared......he wouldn't have a reason to leave. The cited telemetry-based studies that showed a buck might not travel outside a Home Range as small as a "few dozen acres" barring the rutting season.

It aslo stated that the further west you go....the more they seem to travel......due to various reasons (proximity of food and does). The home ranges, naturally, are larger, there (and other places where doe density and food is not in close proximity).
Well.. I find your first paragraph hard to read Jeff. Are you talking about dispersal.. or home range? And then are you talking core area or home range in paragraph 2..??

But.. I could easily agree that a home range would be larger out west than in lets say.. the south. Foliage changes to the landscape.. preferred food sources.. heavy snows/lack there of.. all would help to contribute to larger or smaller home ranges.. makes sense.. common sense.

Now dispersal of young bucks is totally different. Interestingly enough its for the benefit of the herd.. or natures way of less inbreeding which would impair whitetails over generations.

Now.. I do believe a core bedding area can be very small.. followed by a core area thats much larger in size.. and then a home range that deer lives in throughout all 365 days.

But I do not believe any whitetail buck.. no matter where.. to have a home range of just several dozen acres. He would have to have adequate amounts of food, water, cover, and females. Not to mention a social hierarchy.. which he simply won't just have on 30 acres. No way.. no how. A core bedding area of 30 acres.. sure.. absolutely... but not a home range.
Old 07-18-2008, 09:55 AM
Dominant Buck

Well.. I find your first paragraph hard to read Jeff. Are you talking about dispersal.. or home range? And then are you talking core area or home range in paragraph 2..??
Duke:

Honestly....the little (very little) "article" doesn't mention "core area". They mention dispersal and home range, though.

Now dispersal of young bucks is totally different. Interestingly enough its for the benefit of the herd.. or natures way of less inbreeding which would impair whitetails over generations.
Funny you should mention this....because I was surprised at what was written, too. I read it to learn about dispersal. They are saying that if all of a buck's needs are met where he is reared.....he won't disperse. This goes against everyhting I've ever heard. That's a reason I thought it was interesting. There was another question regarding "inbreeding", also. They say that it will NOT adversely affect the herd as much as one would think.....because of the fact that does are generally bred by multiple mates. In the event of twins.....2 sires is common. Triplets and three sires is also the norm. Take into account "some" dispersal.....some die-off....and a bloodline quickly becomes diluted.

But I do not believe any whitetail buck.. no matter where.. to have a home range of just several dozen acres. He would have to have adequate amounts of food, water, cover, and females. Not to mention a social hierarchy.. which he simply won't just have on 30 acres. No way.. no how. A core bedding area of 30 acres.. sure.. absolutely... but not a home range.
"Outside the rut"....the article would disagree with you. That's why I thought you'd find it interesting. I'd be happy to quote the entire thing and send it to you when I get some time, this weekend. More "nerd" stuff we love.

Have a great weekend.

Old 07-18-2008, 10:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Funny you should mention this....because I was surprised at what was written, too. I read it to learn about dispersal. They are saying that if all of a buck's needs are met where he is reared.....he won't disperse. This goes against everyhting I've ever heard. That's a reason I thought it was interesting. There was another question regarding "inbreeding", also. They say that it will NOT adversely affect the herd as much as one would think.....because of the fact that does are generally bred by multiple mates. In the event of twins.....2 sires is common. Triplets and three sires is also the norm. Take into account "some" dispersal.....some die-off....and a bloodline quickly becomes diluted.
I would agree with that.. makes sense.

But I still would find it unlikely a whitetail to have a 30 acre home range. That means he has to survive on that 30 acres for 365 days. Which doesn't make any sense.. theirs just not nearly enough food to permit this. I think the author should re-check what a core area is.. and what a home range is.

You have a good weekend too.. Jeff.
Old 07-18-2008, 12:59 PM
Dominant Buck

But I still would find it unlikely a whitetail to have a 30 acre home range. That means he has to survive on that 30 acres for 365 days. Which doesn't make any sense.. theirs just not nearly enough food to permit this. I think the author should re-check what a core area is.. and what a home range is.
Outside the rut, Duke....we have to remember that part.

And I can show you (though I'm not disagreeing with you) a 30acre patch where a mature whitetail would NEVER have to venture outside of......and he/she could eat, sleep drink and mate in that acreage, just fine. I'm betting little spots like this are NOT uncommon. Ihave a fewspots like this really close to home. Some....I'll be hunting, this fall. They can bed; they have ag crops; they have mast producing trees; they have water and they have does......in less acreage than what you cite (which could be smaller than what the author is citing).

Like I said....I'm not saying they're "right"......but in some settings....I find it plausible.

Quick Reply: Hey Duke....More "Home Range" fodder

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.